Fox Reinstalling Oem Stereo In 1990 Gt Convertible

I'm looking to reinstall the factory deck in our mustang, and can't seem to find a source to buy the OEM trim panel for it.

I plan to install the factory deck, and then route the speaker outputs into an Audiocontrol LC7i, then into a 6 channel amp. The idea is to restore the car to factory like condition, and the OEM deck would be great to have in the dash.

Also looking for the pin out, if anyone has that available.

Here is what it has today:

IMG_0933.JPG

and here is the factory deck, after about 5 passes with plastic reconditioner:

IMG_0932.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks fro the link, there's some great information in there.

I got around to test fitting the original radio back in, and am running in to a few issues. 1st, is the display bulb is burned out. I went to the local autoparts store with it, and they had some which would fit, but none of them were made out of the same material as the original.

The original bulb looks like it has a plastic, or rubberized, type of coating on it. I assume this is to protect the display from the heat generated by the bulb. I also think it's a 5w bulb, just based on Google results though. The autoparts store only had 2.3w glass bulbs, so I didn't buy one.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement bulb which is safe to use and will be bright enough?

Second issue is the wiring. One of the factory connectors (#2 in the graphic) is in tact, and fits just fine. It powers up the radio without issue.

The other factory connector (would be connector 1 in the pic) has been cut off by the previous installer. Does anyone know where, besides a junkyard, I may be able to source this connector? I assume this is the one with the speaker output wires.

Third is the other connector I found behind the radio (#3 in the pic). I assume I'm dealing with a premium system wiring here, especially considering there are door speakers in this car and the carpet behind the radio goes all the way up to the firewall (although to be fair, the carpet has been replaced recently, so that's probably not a good indicator).

The pic I posted above of the radio is the stock radio which was removed from this car. I thought the premium system, with the amp under the passenger seat, would have included the in dash EQ? And the back of the radio does not have a connection point which would fit #3 connector.

Connectors.jpg

Thanks for any help with this!

What year is your car? I don't see it specified. 1993 was the only year the amp was under the seat. In 1987-1992, the amp was behind the radio.

Looks like the original owner cut off connector #1 to splice a different speaker harness on. You can purchase new leads and solder/splice them on.

Amazon product ASIN B000KL2L8IView: http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness-Mustang-wiring-installation/dp/B000KL2L8I

Connector #3 is for the premium amp, which on 87-92 models is behind the radio. Do you see a football shaped amp back there?

Thanks for the help guys. The car is a 1990 GT Convertible (specified in the thread title), and I only see carpet behind the radio, although I did have new carpet installed last year, and the guy did not do a great job, so I wouldn't be surprised if he covered up the bracket and/or amp with carpet. I'll have to take a closer look when I dig back into it later this week.

I appreciate the link to the harness. At a minimum, I'll need that connector for the back of the radio. As for the amp, I won't be using it, as I plan to install an Audiocontrol LC6i (or LC7i) to convert the speaker outputs from the deck to line level, and then run them into a multichannel (5 or 6 channel) amp for powering the dash speakers, the door speakers, and a sub in the truck. Basically, I want the dash to look factory, but have upgraded sound. This is the wife's weekend cruiser, and she's been complaining she can't hear the radio with the top down.

So I'll run speaker wire from the deck to the trunk, into the LC6i, then from the LC6i into an amp, then new wire to the speaker locations.

For interfacing to the stock deck. I'm considering this ION Bluetooth Cassette adapter, instead of trying to wire up a hardwire aux input.

Amazon product ASIN B00I3YLHACView: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Cassette-Adapter-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B00I3YLHAC

Based on what I'm seeing through my research, the harness connectors I found behind the radio are really part of a larger harness which connect to body connectors ... is this right? So I should be able to trace them back and find two connectors on the body with all these wires going to them. If so, I suppose I could order 2 of the connector kits from amazon, and make my own harness to run one connector from the OEM deck to the power connector on the body, and the 2nd connector on the OEM deck to the trunk for the speaker runs to the aftermarket setup.

If my assumptions above are right, this should sort out the wiring side of this. Still having a hard time locating a replacement bulb for the radio's display though. Any idea if I can just use a glass bulb in here without damaging the display long term? Or do I need to find one of the OEM style bulbs which has the plastic/rubberized coating on it?

Actually, now that I think about it, if my assumption is right about the body connectors, I should already have all the pieces I need to make a harness. I can reuse connector #2 in the pic for the OEM radio's power connector, then reuse the other end which should have another connector #2 on it (connected to the body). And the other end should also have a connector #1 still present on the body connector, which I can re-purpose for the speaker outputs on the OEM deck.

Really need to dig back into the dash and trace them down. Hopefully I can find some time to do that today...

Did you ever have speakers in the door? If not, then this car was not equipped with the premium radio, and instead got the 4-speaker base model radio.

There is a harness that I think you are missing, however if you are using the speaker outputs as line outs you won't need it. Just plug one of those aftermarket harnesses into the OEM radio and use the wires to connect direct to the amp. One plug was for speakers and the other for power. You can connect the intact harness to the radio and tap off of it for the amp turn on wire.

You'll have to run wires to the door speakers (and other speakers as well preferably) as the door speakers got sound through the amp. Without the OEM amp installed, they are not connected to the speaker harness at the radio.

But i'm going to assume after the radio, you are going to use aftermarket stuff anyway (which is a good idea as the oem system isn't all that good).

Ya, that's the plan ... to take the speaker outputs from the deck, run them to the trunk and into an Audiocontrol LC6i for converting the signal to line level; then feed the line level signal into the amplifier. Planning on a PPI BA2200.5 amp right now.

There are already speakers in the doors, and they are being powered off of the aftermarket deck. Not sure if it's using factory wiring or aftermarket wiring though. Either way, I will be running new speaker wires from the amps to each speaker location. I plan to run tweeters in the dash, mids in the doors, and sub in the trunk (or in the 5x7/6x9 locations .. not sure yet). Basically, a 3-way active setup.

If this didn't have the premium system from the factory, would there even be door speaker grills? The certification label on the driver's door as the R value set to "9", which decodes to "AM/FM Electronic Stereo Cassette". Not sure if this means premium or standard though.

If this didn't have the premium system from the factory, would there even be door speaker grills? The certification label on the driver's door as the R value set to "9", which decodes to "AM/FM Electronic Stereo Cassette". Not sure if this means premium or standard though.

Yes, there would have still been grills in the door. However, behind them would have been a white sheet of plastic covering the speaker hole.

As far as door codes, only "9" and "Y" were available that year. Y was radio delete. Possible Ford was putting the amp in all the Mustangs by that point.

At this point, it doesn't matter. But you are missing the amp, and amp harness for your car. But won't matter for what you are doing.

Sounds good, thanks for your help. I'll update this thread as I move along.

I dissembled the radio yesterday to remove the faceplate, and used some headlight reconditioning chemicals to clean it up a bit more. It looks a lot better after 8 or so coats of the sealer.

IMG_0939.JPG

Next step will be to run 8 wires from the dash back to the trunk for the speaker level outputs, run wire from the trunk to the individual speaker locations, and run power from the battery to the trunk in preparation for the amp and converter. Luckily the converter I'm using is auto-sensing, and has a remote power output for controlling an amp. So I shouldn't need a remote wire from the deck.

Then I'll hook everything up, without the amp, by connecting the wires in the trunk (dash wires to speaker wires), just to test it all out. Assuming the deck and wiring are all functional, I'll button up the interior and order the LC6i and the amplifier. The installation of those should be simple, considering everything will already be run to the trunk.

I like this plan, My center console is out and Im trying to devise a way to hookup an ipod/mp3 aux input and similar amp scenario.

Any ideas on how to wire in an Aux in-put so the stock radio works to control volume etc

I like this plan, My center console is out and Im trying to devise a way to hookup an ipod/mp3 aux input and similar amp scenario.

Any ideas on how to wire in an Aux in-put so the stock radio works to control volume etc

Wish I had time to figure it out. There is a way to do it, and someone was selling OEM radios with AUX 3.5mm jacks in them on Ebay. He chimed in a few times, but for obvious reasons didn't reveal how it was being done.

I have the 1993 OEM CD player in my LX...which is as useless as a cassette deck because I no longer own CD's. I'd love to put a 3.5mm AUX jack in.