Removed Clutch Helper Spring Awesome!!!

15GTrob

5 Year Member
Aug 23, 2015
I just pulled off the clutch helper spring. I much prefer how the clutch feels now. My shifts are WAY smoother now. I like that it is very easy to remove and replace. Good job Ford!

• Sponsors (?)

I've seen a lot of guys doing this and everyone seems to be really happy with the results! :burnout:

Me... I wouldn't know what to do with a 3rd pedal down there :stick:

Wouldn't that be a great feature to have electronically controlled? Kind of like the steering can be Sport or Comfort, it would be nice to have the clutch controlled with a Traffic and Sport mode (instead of having to get under there with some pliers or whatever).

Meh, I did that mod 30 seconds after I brought it home from the dealer. The hydraulic clutch without the helper spring is still lighter than my 04 was. I had zero clutch feel with that helper spring. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Actually the removing the spring can damage the slave cylinder seals is right in the link that AL your PAL provided. From the product description of the Steeda 35lb clutch spring upgrade:

"Most owners fail to realize the prolonged effects of simply taking out your factory OE spring and not replacing it with another spring. By negating your factory clutch assist spring you will notice chatter/NVH from your clutch pedal. Your clutch pedal will never fully return to stock position without any assist spring, and over time your slave cylinder may begin leaking due to constant pressure on its seals from the clutch pedal not returning to the stock position. Avoid these problems in the future by installing our Steeda S550 Mustang Clutch Assist Spring 35 lb/in into your GT, EcoBoost or V6. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-clutch-spring-assist-35-lb-in-15-16-all-555-7022/#sthash.j4zFQl6X.dpuf"

I have removed the spring quite some time ago. With car running in neutral wth e brake on, I got down under there to meaure and observe what was happening when the pedal was fully depressed and all the way up. I even pulled up on the pedal, which did not move it. Then I put the spring back in and...wait for it...exactly the same action and measurement of travel. Zero difference just more or less effort. So, I am hard pressed to believe that removing the spring could cause damage. Sigh, but alas I put the Steeda spring in anyway. Just feels like the pedal l travel is more linear and clutch disengagement point more easily felt through the pedal. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: