Rental repair service bays?

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
Southern California
Does anyone know of any place in So Cal where one could rent a space to do an engine swap? I have access to an engine hoist, tools, help, etc., but only a one car garage in a condo. This is a long range thing, but would like to have some info in advance. Google search came up with nothing. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

65stanger said:
At least around here (L.I.) the rental storage places don't allow you to use them as repair garages, only for storage................ :shrug:

You are right. I rent a space in a storage yard for my two cars and no repairs are allowed, although I have changed light bulbs there. There was a auto hobby shop at the USAF base in Riverside, California that made my first engine swap a breeze. My second was in my friends back yard using a tree limb for an engine hoist. :D

I think the commercial auto hobby shops are a thing of the past in this sue crazy society we have now. No one can afford the liability insurance to run a business that allows any yahoo with a set of wrenches to play with a hydraulic lift. Only places I've heard of them being is on military bases. Maybe you could try reinlisting! :D

Not a doubt in my mind that if you are 'retired' military that you would be able to use the hobby shop on any base or post...regardless of the branch of service. Hell, even DoD civilian employees can use the hobby shop for things like that.

allcarfan said:
Not a doubt in my mind that if you are 'retired' military that you would be able to use the hobby shop on any base or post...regardless of the branch of service. Hell, even DoD civilian employees can use the hobby shop for things like that.

Not really "retired" from the service. I spent 3 years 10 months on active duty then decided military life wasn't for me. The closest base is really too far anyway, and it has turned into a reserve base anyway.