Replacement Alternator Bolt

Trixie2016

Jul 23, 2016
Hi. I am going to need to replace the upper alternator bolt on my 3.8L 1995 mustang. As best I can tell from searches is that it is part #56543-S2 (discontinued) which has a 3/8" diameter and 16X1.75" shaft. The closest I can find at a place like Advance Auto Parts (online) is the Dorman - Help Alternator Bolt which has a length of 3-1/8". It seems that bolt would be too long and run out of thread before it could firmly mount the alternator. I have looked on the LMR and CjPony parts sites, and they appear to have nothing appropriate.

Can anyone offer suggestions where I could locate an appropriate alternator bolt closer in size or perhaps some other attachment approach? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You can literally look for weeks for a bolt like that and never find it. Go to the hardware store and buy a short stick of all thread. (Threaded rod) cut it to length, file or grind the end smooth, and install it with a nut. The whole front of my son's engine accessory drive is assembled like this. Quick and easy.

Reactions: 1 user