sawzall
exhaust sleeve
two exhaust clamps
new starter
hammer
big screw driver
adjustable wrench
wire cutters.

After about 5 hours of trying to pull the old starter out we determined that you have to unbolt the Y pipe to get it out, after unsuccessfully trying to cut the heat sheild off to get it around the exhaust. And when you change the exhaust, you have to put new exhaust gaskets out, which cost a total of over 50 dollars. So now we are cutting the exhaust out and we are going to weld it back on. This is a ****ing pain in the ass to change a damn starter. The japanese designer must've been thinking "How else can we get america back for Hiroshima and nagasaki...":notnice:

NEVER BUY AN ISUZU!!!

• Sponsors (?)

you think doing the starter is bad you should try pulling the transmission out. we had a problem with those 4L30E transmissions smoking the band and our builder couldnt figure out the problem (i work at AAMCO) so i had to r&r a two different 4x4 isuzu poopers 3 different time until we finally got it right. and trust me it never gets any easier to work on those things. i have nightmares and flash backs any time i see one of those wretched trucks.

you think doing the starter is bad you should try pulling the transmission out. we had a problem with those 4L30E transmissions smoking the band and our builder couldnt figure out the problem (i work at AAMCO) so i had to r&r a two different 4x4 isuzu poopers 3 different time until we finally got it right. and trust me it never gets any easier to work on those things. i have nightmares and flash backs any time i see one of those wretched trucks.

I also work at aamco and have done quite a few of those 4L30Es. A 4x4 4R100 in an expedition is 10x worse though.

I had no problem getting the starter off of any of the izuzu troopers I've worked on, but when you work on them all the damn time you know all the tricks.