Restoring A 1996 Gt Convertible

del101

Dec 28, 2014
Hello folks: so I am restoring my first mustang, a 96 convertible GT that now belongs to my brother. He's away at vet school and while he is out, I'd like to get the interior fixed up. The seats are very worn and drivers seat belt is threadbare. I've been looking for seat combinations that will look nice (tan interior). I'd rather go aftermarket because OEM seem to be too told to be any good. Also, I see a lot of people selling "covers." We tried some on and they never fit very snugly, so it looks quite bad.

Any ideas where I could turn to? (Other than a junk yard). Also, it'd be great to fix up the interior plastics, such as the dash, center console, etc Any ideas? Price is obviously something to keep in mind and I am rather handy, so would likely be doing most everything myself.

Before anyone says anything, I know the car is only worth about $2,000. It has a lot of sentimental value. I spent just today about $1,800 in tires, alignment, tune up, oil change, pats keys and remote, and exhaust. Budget will be about $6,000 total. Hoping to do paint with that as well.

Thanks for your help, guys and gals!

• Sponsors (?)

The good news is that once you get the car restored and in pretty good shape, the car would be worth 5 to 6000 dollars so you're not getting hurt really. I rebuilt mine and I got many of my parts off Amazon and www.latemodelrestoration.com . They have a lot of OEM Motorcraft stuff. Sometimes, a junk yard is your best bet. I rebuilt a 90 convertible a few years ago and had to replace the power top motor and discovered that Ford used the same motor from 1964 to 2004. That made it easy to find one. The point is, to stay in budget, you may have to resort to the old junk yard once in a while. Good luck and have fun with it.