Road Race a Mustang II??

BBRacer

Founding Member
Nov 8, 2001
Calgary
I joined this site back when I was looking to take a Cobra II and go road racing in the vintage (non-competative) races here in Calgary. Got a 260z 2+2 next, then just recently a '65 coupe for a daily driver cause I needed a second car. (Now the 260Z is for sale...)

Now that I can get to work... I still seem to think that a Cobra II would make a pretty in-expensive and cool race car. I see them all over now, stored in alleys, behind garages. What do you think?? The stock suspension is good to start, the steering good, put in a Windsor and lighten the thing up a bit and I think you could hang it out on a road course! Has any one seen any of these out on the road courses?? Too heavy in the front?? Ideas??

• Sponsors (?)

BBRacer said:
I joined this site back when I was looking to take a Cobra II and go road racing in the vintage (non-competative) races here in Calgary. Got a 260z 2+2 next, then just recently a '65 coupe for a daily driver cause I needed a second car. (Now the 260Z is for sale...)

Now that I can get to work... I still seem to think that a Cobra II would make a pretty in-expensive and cool race car. I see them all over now, stored in alleys, behind garages. What do you think?? The stock suspension is good to start, the steering good, put in a Windsor and lighten the thing up a bit and I think you could hang it out on a road course! Has any one seen any of these out on the road courses?? Too heavy in the front?? Ideas??

Talk to Dave Wilson on this site, he has a beautiful Cobra II that was a road race car for many years, He may be able to give you a few tips in the suspension area. I'll dig through some old paperwork I have, I think I might have some pictures of the lowering blocks

I'm in the process of refitting my II for handling. 285/40s on the back, 255/40s(50s?) on the front, bigger sway bars, and wider fender flares.
11" Granada rotors are going up front, and I already have the '59 T-bird 11"x2.5" drums on the back, so the car might even stop pretty good when I'm done.

Blue Thunder,

What kind of flares are you going to use? I want to keep the stock (almost) look that a white Cobra II would have (white with blue stripes would look good on a roadcouse). BB

By my initial measurements, it looks like I'll need to use 3" flares, (I think the stock flares are 1.5") A BMW M3 has 3" flares, but I'm sure there's aftermarket 3" flares that are cheaper.

My rear wheels are 15x10 and front wheels are 15x8 American Racing Outlaw IIs.