Roush Super charger

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
I saw a Roush stage 3 supercharger for sale and I was wondering how these are? It says it just bolts in the place of the stock intake on top of the engine? I was wondering whether or not this would limit me on upgrading to PI eventually? Also im assuming this is a pretty tame supercharger since it probably came on factory Roush Mustangs. Im guessing I would probably only gain around 50-75hp corect? Also since it probably is a fairly tame supercharger what would I have to upgrade? Fuel injectors, fuel pump? I know I would probably need an sct tuner.

• Sponsors (?)

I did a quick search on stage 3 supercharger. I couldn't find any numbers on the supercharger itself, but I did find some numbers on the 2001 Roush stage 3 Mustang. It has 360 hp.....but the car came with a 5.4 instead. The article I found came from Hot Rod Magazine, it also says it has special fuel injectors, an intercooler, a BBK TB and a lighter flywheel.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/16499_2001_ford_mustang_roush_stage_3/

uh...no. The Roush Stage 3 is a 4.6L. Always has been. The later SN95 models had 380 hp. The same exact blower is on the 3V stage 3, which nets 415 hp.

If you plan on fitting the Roush (Eaton M90) s/c on a '96, you should plan on lowering your compression should you decide to go with PI heads and cams. That blower coupled with nearly 12:1 compression is going to present issues.

The blower itself is nothing special. The rest of the package is where all of the engineering was done....intake manifold, inlet plenum, intercooler, tune. BTW, you're going to need all of the accessory drive components that come with a Stage 3... idler bracket, spider bracket (with damper), alt bracket, etc. The blower runs on a 2nd belt drive. Also, the alternator is modified and relocated to under the p/s pump, similar the '03/04 Cobra.

uh...no. The Roush Stage 3 is a 4.6L. Always has been. The later SN95 models had 380 hp. The same exact blower is on the 3V stage 3, which nets 415 hp.

If you plan on fitting the Roush (Eaton M90) s/c on a '96, you should plan on lowering your compression should you decide to go with PI heads and cams. That blower coupled with nearly 12:1 compression is going to present issues.

The blower itself is nothing special. The rest of the package is where all of the engineering was done....intake manifold, inlet plenum, intercooler, tune. BTW, you're going to need all of the accessory drive components that come with a Stage 3... idler bracket, spider bracket (with damper), alt bracket, etc. The blower runs on a 2nd belt drive. Also, the alternator is modified and relocated to under the p/s pump, similar the '03/04 Cobra.

The Roush is a rebadged SVO/FRPP which is a M112, the Saleen was a M90.

Heres some photo's of an M90/03 Cobra M112/Roush-FRPP M112

the size of the Roush Supercharger Body is clearly the same size as the Cobra Eaton M112 not the SuperCoupes Eaton M90 which is much shorter.

M90
eatonm90.jpg

03-04 Cobra Eaton M112
EatonM112Cobra.jpg

Roush/FRPP Eaton M112
eatonm112RoushFRPP.jpg

Should i PM you my address for that paycheck :)

Reactions: 1 user
I knew about the newer ones for 99-04's being M-90's but i looked at the kids car description in his sig before i posted and it said 96 GT so i knew he was talking about the older version for our cars and had to be talking about something he saw on ebay.

Hey, no prob. No flame intended, just setting the record straight. I know there is misinfo printed in some mags, and this could be the case here. I'm not doubting what you read. ;)

That is funny

2001 Roush Stage 3 Mustang

Base Price: $39,500 - $48,975

Engine: 5.4-liter SOHC V-8 with Eaton supercharger and water-to-air intercooler

but before the bottom specs is:

The Stage 3 is available in manual or automatic transmission, coupe or convertible body style. But one thing is common to all of these Roush cars: the Stage 3’s powerplant is a 4.6-liter V-8, with single overhead cams, pumped up to produce 360 hp and 375 lb-ft of torque.

Wonder where the power comes from? It’s an ’01 Mustang 4.6-liter SOHC V-8 from the get-go.

Where exactly did he quote that link??? And BTW, Roush didn't supercharge the Stage 3 (direct from Roush) until 2001.

"The debut of Roush Performance Products was officially made at the 1995 SEMA show, and it consisted of an intake manifold and tool kit. A year later, the first Roush Mustang was available from dealerships, and was built by a third party. 1997 brought about the first group of Roush-built Roush Mustangs, built at one of four locations. The first era of the Roush Mustang was based on the SN95 Mustang. There were three "stages" of the Roush Mustang, which were split into four levels. Stage 1 was an appearance package, and consisted of the following additions to a stock 1994-1998 Mustang GT:

Roush Logo Package
Roush Dash Medallion
17" x 8" Roush Wheels
Roush Side Skirts
Roush Rear Wing
Roush Window Decal Package
Roush Front Spoiler
Limited Edition Trunk Tool Kit
Roush Embroidered Floor Mats
There was an addition package, named Stage 1 Plus, which included all of the normal Stage 1, but also included a Rear Valance and a side exit exhaust system with different side skirts. If should be noted that this Roush package was also available on 1994-1998 Cobras, but the kit for the Cobra did not include the alterations to the front or rear fascia.

Stage 2 of the SN95 based Roush Mustang included everything in Stage 1 Plus, but was an appearance and suspension upgrade package. Included in that suspension upgrade were:

Pinion Snubber
Rear Anti-Roll Bar
Front and Rear Springs
Koni Adjustable Struts (front)
Koni Adjustable Shocks (rear)
Stage 3 of the SN95 based Roush Mustang included everything in the Stage 2 package, but Stage 3 included engine performance modifications. It was listed as a direct bolt-on replacement kit, and no modifications were needed, but Roush Performance recommended that for optimum performance, GT-40 cylinder heads were used in conjunction with the Stage 3 package. Roush claimed a gain of 47 horsepower with only the included items of Stage 3, and while the GT-40 heads were not included, a reported gain of 120 horsepower was obtainable with the Roush machined GT-40 heads. The following items were included in the package:

Custom Induction Hood
Fuel Rail
Valve Covers
65mm Throttle Body
High Flow Air Filter
Three-Piece Roush Dual Plenum Intake Assembly
Installation Kit (including all of the necessary fasteners, gaskets, etc)"

I don't see a supercharger anywhere in there. Yes, there was a kit available (seperate kit, not sold in cars), but he stated "...since it probably came on factory Roush Mustangs."

This is why I assumed he was referring to the M90 design. Roush started building supercharged stage 3's in 2001.

I'll admit my assumption may have been wrong about which blower he is referring to.

tjmaxx, which unit ARE you referring to?

EDIT: I just read your reply and you could be right about the year he's asking about.

Gotcha.

Nevermind all that crap I posted then, LOL!

Sidenote: We (in the Roush Engineering community) don't consider that particular unit a "Roush" supercharger, even though they are branded that way. It's designed and manufactured by some third party. The newer kits ('01+) are designed in house. Just a little insight to my view-point I guess.

Good luck!