Running Rough

hollywood954

Dec 16, 2016
Hi guys I m new to this forum and was wondering if you can help. I have a 1997 mustang gt pretty much stock and it runs very poorly. When I turn it on in the morning it runs rough but no smoke whatsoever and as I start driving it I have to get on it for it to clear up. After that it runs good for a while but sometimes when it idles rpms will drop to about 400-500 and it will shake, smoke and smell like gas. I want to say the smoke has a bluish tint and was thinking valve seals but I m not sure. I just changed the MAF took it for a drive and at first it ran perfect but by the time i got back home i had the same issue. I pinched the IAC hose and it almost stalled. The codes are for upstream and downstream O2s. If it were the valve seals the oil level should decrease right? I changed it about a month ago and was all there. PCV valve is a couple months old. The car stalled while idling twice since I bought it (about 2 years). On a side note there is a red capped hose coming out to the right of the IAC. Does anyone know what the hose is for? I ll try to attach a picture. I dont want to spend a lot on unnecessary parts. Thank you.
IMG_2039.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Just trying to understand but you said you have a check engine light and its because of the o2 sensors? They could be causing the car to run rich and it could be causing you problems. Does the car have a hanging idle? Thats a symptom of a bad IAC valve. Check all your vacuum lines for leaks. You could go out and buy a can of Seafoam and make sure you get it to go into the vacuum line. Let it sit for a bit and then turn it on and rev the motor to clean out all the carbon deposits. This is a simple fix but are you sure your air filter is not clogged?

Sorry I dont have more to add, hopefully @wmburns or @Noobz347 can help.

If the front oxygen sensors are bad, that could produce these kind of problems. Looks like your egr vacuum line isn't connected in the picture. That red plastic hose goes to several locations throughout the emissions system. Not sure specifically which components it connects buy of you got a vacuum leak as a result, it could produce the problems type having as well.

I believe the check engine light was for p0135 and p1151 last i checked. The air filter is almost new @DSG_Mach. It seems to have a hanging idle. It doesnt sound like it has a vacuum leak. I m gonna take it for a drive today and if it does it again i ll take some pics or maybe a video. @Mattstang04.
I appreciate your input.