Paint and Body Rusting Aftermarket Bumpers

Cool Beans

Aug 2, 2014
Been on the car 6 months, car is under a cover. . .but still. . .starting to get pinhead sized pimples in the chrome, and rust bleeding out. I asked about a warranty exchange, and was told I'm SOL. . .

So, any advice on how to clean this up and maybe preserve the bumpers? My only experience has been to use fine steel wool and Brass-O on my old trucks chrome. Any other suggestions? Once clean, can I clear coat the bumpers or wax them or something?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG1137.jpg
    IMAG1137.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG1136.jpg
    IMAG1136.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Sponsors (?)

This is a problem that probably will not go away .I had a 67 bumper do the same thing ,i used chrome polish but it just kept coming back .All my door handles are crackling and the eyebrow chrome for my 69 Shelby replica blistered , and that i keep inside wrapped in paper towels .It is just cheep chrome ...Thank you EPA..

Bah. . .I guess I can keep up with it for a bit with brasso and fine steel wool? Do you think a little wax with help slow it down? Once it gets bad enough, I guess I can try stripping and then do a set of painted bumpers. . .hey, I could tighten the bumper up around the fenders as well. Can't ruin what already is, lol.