Scott Drake 3 Point Seat Belts Install Question?

Cool Beans

Aug 2, 2014
Got me some new seat belts, these are http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/SB-3P-BK-PBSB.aspx?wid=141

I've figured out how to put them in, but the OEM bolts do not fit the holes in the mounting tabs. The description says it reuses the OEM bolts, but they have a 1/2" shoulder on them. These have a 7/16" hole. After contacting Scott Drake I was told I can drill them out or use 7/16" bolts. Neither of which I find acceptable for a $209 "bolt in" part. I pressed further and was told all aftermarket belts are like this.

I'd like to know if anyone here has dealt with this issue, and if the hole size is true, is drilling them a size bigger acceptable? Or should I return them and look else where. If I return them, are there any belts you'd recommend that will fit without issue?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I typically don't have problems modifying parts to fit. . .I think a lot of this is just principle. . .when I buy a cheap chinese body panel for my old truck from LMC and it needs to be beaten into place to fit descent, I can live with that because I bought a cheap piece of crap with a disclaimer that said I would have to "fit to vehicle".

I'm trying to do right by my car and buy what seems to be higher quality goods. But I already had to cut the back corners off my upper control arms so they didn't bind with the shock tower. . .I mean come on, these cars still exist, test fit your merchandise people! Scott Drake sells the damned bolts for this car, has anyone stuck one in the hole to check?

Oi! Drilling it out won't remove much material, I'll compare to the OEM and see what it had and measure. . .

Thanks,
~Steve

The belts i put in my 65 fast back ,i just re drilled the lower tabs .It wasn't much and couldn't tell it after . I just started using the 4 point harness from summit on all the others ,there is an eye loop that bolts in the stock bolt hole and the belts clip in. I usually have a roll bar in now and the top two i will weld a eye loop in the roll bar cross bar to hook the top shoulder belts to.

I feel your pain.

However, these aftermarket guys are really trying to do a difficult thing; spanning model years, anticipating individual option packages and frankly, building parts that must fit cars that were put together fairly haphazardly. My convertible, for instance, is a late 67 with an early 67 column. The front end was mis-drilled in the factory so aftermarket steering solutions need all the nice Ford stuff to be torn out, metal welded over the misdrilled holes and new holes redrilled. Either that, or grind away at the new aftermarket part.

I suppose so. . .little clues tell me my car is an "early 68", but I have a crusty old 67 rear view mirror bracket installed. . .not sure what else is out of place yet, but I'm sure I will figure it out!

BTW, I contacted the manufacturer, and received a pleasant if not interesting response:

Thank you for the inquiry. Well, you might be one of the very few people that have the OEM bolts for a 68-73 Fast Back….lol! Out of the 10 years I have been doing this, you might be the 5th or 6th person to ask me that. If you would like to send your seat belts back to us hear at Seatbelt Solutions, we will sew some bigger anchors on the seat belts that will fit your OEM shoulder bolts (you will only be responsible for shipping hear & back). You can drill out the anchors if you have the proper equipment. The anchors are harden steel , without the proper tools it may be tough. Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

I think a few things were lost in translation, but it is nice of them to offer to resew bigger anchors for me. I don't want to wait really though, if drilling isn't that big of a deal I'm just going to do that. I can have it done in about 30 minutes this weekend.

Thanks for listening to me rant! More questions coming as I get farther along with this car!

You know, in my real job I am a high end researcher. As in, I go to dangerous places and find the answers to seemingly insoluble issues, then have decision-makers ignore the information I give them. The complexities of mid-60s Mustangs I find to be stimulating enough to maintain my interest, yet it is gratifying to be able to apply the correct solution myself, without some moron bureaucrat bumbling it. I love hearing these WTF? Mustang stories.