Scrub Radius/tramlining/etc...

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
From what I have read here and else where, the scrub radius of these cars is a contributing factor to the Foxbody having tramlining issues. But the issue with that is, it's highly likely that the guy doing the alignment on the rack has 0 knowledge of this... I have paid for way to many alignments to only be half way happy. The only way I have gotten my car to stop tramlining is ride on skinny Prostars up front! Which I like anyways...

But... I have somewhat grown tired of having either draglites or Prostars on my Fox. For the short while I ran 03 Cobra Wheels, I enjoyed it. No worrying about folding them over if I turned to quickly. Or denting them in a slight pot hole. And no one having a tire on hand if you happen to flatten a skinny tire.

So, now I'm planning to go back to a "normal" style rim giving this is my daily. How could one truly fix the Foxbody steering issues with wider front tires? (255ish)

I have a 20:1 manual rack, Maximum Motorsport steering shaft, Steeda Bump Steer Kit, Solid Rack bushings, Coilovers and BBK Caster Camber Plates. I feel that's enough that I shouldn't have to worry about steering issues when set up correctly no matter my choice of rim and tire.

• Sponsors (?)

Nature of the beast dude.

Everything about a wider, more stickier tire is just begging to follow the longitudinal grooves in the road surface. Put more rubber in contact w/ the road, make it more sticky, and give it a responsive, short sidewall, and you have all the necessary ingredients for the effect you call tramlining.

The only ways to decrease that is a narrower tire w/ a higher sidewall that acts as a "buffer" to maximize sidewall deflection and absorb some of the road abnormalities instead of reacting directly to them.

There's gotta be a way though. My 03GT with 245 suffered no ill effects no matter what tire I had up front. I could take my hand off the wheel and it tracked straight.

My daily driver has 255s and it's stable.

I realize a fox is a different, ancient beast, but there's gotta be one thing that will keep it in check. I'm kinda hoping my 03-04 cobra steering rack swap helps the issue. I have 245s on my fox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 other cars with no steering issues

1995 3000gt - 275 wide front tires
1973 Mazda Rx2 - 255 wide front tires

My friend has 295 front tires on his vette...

This is a Foxbody issue. Lets put our head together and solve it.

I believe I can solve it with negative camber. But I AM NOT a fan of this.

I run a 245/45/17 up front with upr bumpsteer kit,MM cc plates&coilovers,stock rack/k member etc. I had the car aligned to MM street specs(called them) and it completely solved my issues. 255's won't fit on mine anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
I run a 245/45/17 up front with upr bumpsteer kit,MM cc plates&coilovers,stock rack/k member etc. I had the car aligned to MM street specs(called them) and it completely solved my issues. 255's won't fit on mine anyway.

Care to share those specs?

I have 2 other cars with no steering issues

1995 3000gt - 275 wide front tires
1973 Mazda Rx2 - 255 wide front tires

My friend has 295 front tires on his vette...

This is a Foxbody issue. Lets put our head together and solve it.

I believe I can solve it with negative camber. But I AM NOT a fan of this.
RX2 ... youve got my attention ! post some pics please. Sincerely a car guy

The paint job was like this when I got it. I'm trying to get everything else done before I attack that...

Thread officially derailed, lol...

Attachments

• 2014-11-07 15.36.01.jpg
    2014-11-07 15.36.01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
  • 20160129_220220.jpg
    20160129_220220.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 159
The paint job was like this when I got it. I'm trying to get everything else done before I attack that...

Thread officially derailed, lol...

That's awesome ! There was a few at one of the last shows I went to up in the Bronx here . I'm into everything car wise

08ac1cfb3efaf4001ba9832bcf4eee33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old topic and is not rocket science. :) (maybe it is but has been previously solved many times)

Reactions: 1 user