Shaking On Take Off

stangbooster

Oct 14, 2016
I just bought a 2002 mustang 5speed manual and it has a hard shake on take off. the shaking is much less intense but still present when shifting gears. i have noticed that it only shakes when the clutch slips but it is hard to recreate. the clutch itself is strong and grabs hard and the shaking seems to be originating in the rear. not sure what this could be. looked at the diff and noticed a leak and will be fixing it tomorrow so i will update after. hopefully someone has some idea of what this could be

• Sponsors (?)

I checked the rear diff, and it was just leaking a bit nothing serious, but after about 2 hours of driving and playing with the clutch i've noticed it's directly linked to engine rpm. When i first started the car this morning i felt the shake like the engine was trying to jump out of the car but it was only for a split second and smoothed out immediately, also the shaking i mentioned earlier when shifting gear only happens if the rpms are not matched with the next gear (rpms are slow to drop/rpm hang) but if i hold the clutch in and wait the 5 sec it takes for my rpms to match up it shifts perfectly smooth. Do you think it could be a bad engine mount causing the engine to jump when the clutch slips?

My guess is that the problem is in the clutch.

You just bought the car: What do you know about the clutch? Is the car modified such that a previous owner may have installed a "performance" clutch? "Stage" clutches, as people call them, often have puck-style faces and can be very prone to chatter on take up, especially the more extreme types that don't have cushioning springs in the hubs etc. They hold steadfastly but sometimes may not be very street-friendly.

Stock clutches can also chatter if their linings become contaminated with oil (from, say, a leaking main rear seal on the engine.) If the clutch was abused and the lining glazed and/or if the flywheel or pressure plate warped and heat-checked you might see chatter on take-up too.

Reactions: 1 user
I think trinity gt, hit it on the head. A glazed clutch disc will chatter like crazy. I'd pull trans, replace complete clutch, turn flywheel, replace rear engine seal. Also check motor and trans mounts, just because!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk