Shift Kits

Banditlead

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2002
CT
Can someone please explain how a shift kit works, why you would use it, and if it compromises the Transmission? Can it still work like an automatic? Do you have to cut up your console to get it to fit?
I know alot of people put them in there Automatics, so that they can work like a manual... But it seems if it was a good idea and that easy, then more cars would come with the shift kits installed off the Assembly line.
Any knowledge is helpfull, so even if its only a basic idea, that would be great. Thanks very much.

• Sponsors (?)

A shift kit reroutes fluid through the valvebody...or atleast I think it does. The effect is a faster, crisper shift. When driving your automatic you've probably noticed you can only slightly feel the tranny shift, if at all. The kit will make it faster, you'll definately know when your car changes gears if you have your foot on it. Some, not all also allow you to have more manual control over the car such as downshifting, etc. For a basic shift kit there is no modification done to the console at all, simply drop the tranny pan, take the old plate out and put the new one in. A shift kit is actually beneficial to the tranny as well, the shorter shift time makes for less wear.

NorCal66 said:
A shift kit is actually beneficial to the tranny as well, the shorter shift time makes for less wear.
A moderate one is beneficial (manufacturers don't do this because the typical buyer of an auto trans does not want to fell the car shifting), there are some rather serious kits available that will stress the gears and drivetrain more; and that added stress will wear faster than the limiting slippage will save. But for the typical street use shiftkit you are right.

Just to tell you, theres more to putting in a shiftkit than just dropping the pan and installing a plate. You have to drop the pan, pull out the valve body, take out a few of the valves and add/take things out, replace some tiny little balls that go in specific places, drill out a few holes on your transfer plate, and put it all together again and hope it goes right. With that said, i LOVE mine. I have my shift points pretty low to where its very mild if i just put it in "D" and go, but if i manually shift it its a backbreaking, tire squeeling shift anywhere over 4,000rpm.

I've got the B&M transpack. When you get it, it includes instructions/parts to do 3 steps...1. RV/towing 2. Street/strip 3. Competition/race. I did #2, and i love it. The only other shift kit i know about is the Transgo one, and i honestly haven't heard much about it, or know of anyone using it.

taylor4g63 said:
I've got the B&M transpack. When you get it, it includes instructions/parts to do 3 steps...1. RV/towing 2. Street/strip 3. Competition/race. I did #2, and i love it. The only other shift kit i know about is the Transgo one, and i honestly haven't heard much about it, or know of anyone using it.

Transgo has been around for ever. They just don't advertise like B@M though. I have their kit and am very happy with it. I went with theirs because it doesn't run ungodly high line pressure, there are different levels of performance, and it has the mods in the box to change it to a manual valvebody. I made mine into a manual with the full race level and the tranny doesn't flare up at all in any gear even shifting on the bottle. It also still uses the vacuum modulator so when you are just cruising, it doesn't rattle your brain shifting. But look out when you floor it.