Shopping for a Shelby GT500- what to look for ?

'68StangGT

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
Haslett, MI
I would appreciate some pointers here

I'm shopping for a Shelby GT500 Convertible- there are several in my general area

When I roll into the dealership and start really going over the car, What area(s) do I need to specific check ?

I guess what I'm asking is- Are there specific problem areas ???

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

What year. These cars are pretty well built. I have an 11 with now issues. Some have a 1 to 2 shift grind issue. Electronic steering issue on the early 11's. Clutch issues on the early model years. ford has issued Tsb's for some of this stuff.

HHHmmmmmm. Interesting question. I have 10 regulars with GT-500's good mix coupe / convertible from 07-11, 9 of them have less then 2,700 miles the only one that sees any driving is a 2010 with 565 RWHP and he still has only 20K so I haven't run into any issues. Most of the ones I see around at shows, hang outs etc... all have low miles so I would expect no issues.

Lots of clutch,pressure plate problems in those years. Run an oasis report before buying. You would be better off finding the clutch had already been replaced. That being said, go aftermarket if it goes out on your dime. I would also look for a 3:55 Orr steeped gear; the 3:31's made the clutch situation worse because u will need to slip the clutch a little to get it rolling.