Short Throw Shifter Question.

mpeach1976

Feb 14, 2014
Do all or at least most short throw shifters go into the reverse the same as that factory shifter...as in; do they they push down and over for reverse? I ask because I remember seeing some sold with an LED light so's to know when they were in reverse. Kind of seems like a pain, but I'd like to know before I buy one.

• Sponsors (?)

mpeach1976:

MGW and Barton are like stock (push down and over/up to left). If you can't find a decent description from a vendor on their website then send them an e-mail and ask them to provide some info. If you're spending money, it's worth doing some research before shelling out.

HTH,

Chris

mpeach1976:

MGW and Barton are like stock (push down and over/up to left). If you can't find a decent description from a vendor on their website then send them an e-mail and ask them to provide some info. If you're spending money, it's worth doing some research before shelling out.

HTH,

Chris
Cool, i'll check out Barton, i've heard good reviews about them. I'm guessing based on what you said Hurst short throw shifter's do not push down and up to the left...?

I think Hurst is the one that includes the LED to indicate reverse. Most people like Barton and MGW. Both will be an improvement over stock. Most people that buy the Barton shifter tend to get the two-post bracket.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mpeach1976,

Yes, "skyline247" is correct that you want the shifter and the bracket. When you remove the stock bracket you will see that is not very supportive. The problem with the stock shifter assembly is that it is a remote shifter (that is, it does not sit on top of the transmission like shifter did on most of the older style transmissions). The Barton shifter uses some better guides and the 2-post bracket give a very solid connection for the support of the shifter box.

I had a Barton shifter and 2-post support and really liked it. I went to an MGW (Race Spec) just because it is an awesome piece of engineering and I just had to have it, lol. I am not a track guy (drag strip or race course), so I just tried out a couple of shifters until I found one that suits my simple toodling around in my GT. Comparing the Barton and MGW, I have to say that I prefer the shorter throw of the Barton shifter and the more 'robotic' feel (some people say it is notchy but it is not notchy, just machine-like. But I like the MGW very much now. In any case, I think you'll like the Barton system.

Chris

I had the Hurst shifter and it didn't have the pushdown for reverse and it sucked. Most of the time you can get it into first fine but if you had to go from neutral to first in a hurry like when the light turns green and you aren't paying attention most likely you would hit reverse. Downshifting into second was awful too and half the time it wouldn't go unless you did it just right. Plus the handle\lever was too tall even though the throws were still shorter than stock. It looked really cool though.

I went to an MGW and wow what a difference. Its so smooth and works perfectly.