Silly, But Serious Question On Gas For My '04 Mach 1

Aaron

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Last year, I picked up an '04 Mach 1 with only 1500 miles on it. Looong story on why it only has 1500 miles, but bottom line is it's absolutely brand new looking, with plastic still on the floors, and factory grease marks still on the undercarriage. Here's my question. What is the best way to deal with gas in the tank, when the car really only gets driven about 100 miles a year? I know you should always store cars with a full tank of gas, but I am sure that is for when you'll burn through at least 1 full tank in a year, and this is with STA-BIL added. For me, once the car gets put away for the winter, it's put away for at least 6 months, and then once out, I may put 100 miles on it. Bottom line is I'll never drive it enough to burn through a tank before it's time to fill it up again for storage the next winter. The alternative is storing it with only a couple gallons in the tank, but this practice promotes much quicker gas degradation, moisture build up in the tank, and eventual corrosion. Yes, I could drop the gas tank every year, but this is a PITA. A 15 gallon tank is not easy to drop. Any other ideas out there?

• Sponsors (?)

That happens to my car quite a bit. Here is my solution:

I store it topped off just like you do. Fuel stabilizer is added anytime I get gas.

If it sits more than a year, I disconnect the fuel lines at the rail and pump the tank dry into two 10-gallon fuel cans.

I use that fuel in lawn mowers, jet-ski, whatever. I'll even poor it all into one of my vehicles.

With fuel stabilizer, a year is pretty good rule of thumb. Some more, some less... depends largely on temp and humidity changes where you live.

Reactions: 1 user
That happens to my car quite a bit. Here is my solution:

I store it topped off just like you do. Fuel stabilizer is added anytime I get gas.

If it sits more than a year, I disconnect the fuel lines at the rail and pump the tank dry into two 10-gallon fuel cans.

I use that fuel in lawn mowers, jet-ski, whatever. I'll even poor it all into one of my vehicles.

With fuel stabilizer, a year is pretty good rule of thumb. Some more, some less... depends largely on temp and humidity changes where you live.

Thanks man, this is what I have been thinking of doing. I just haven't seen a good writeup on how to get the fuel pump to run to drain the tank. Do you have any detailed links that outline the procedure for an '04?

Drain and clean the original tank. Purchase a very small fuel cell....2-4 gal......and mount in trunk. Simply run the car dry when parking it and drain the fuel cell of the small amount of gas left.

Thanks for the advice, but I am not sure I want to mount anything in the trunk. Yeah I know I am being anal, but the car is 100% factory stock, and I wouldn't be able to bring myself to cutting holes for lines, creating mounting points. etc.

Thanks man, this is what I have been thinking of doing. I just haven't seen a good writeup on how to get the fuel pump to run to drain the tank. Do you have any detailed links that outline the procedure for an '04?

You'll need to pickup a set of fuel line disconnect tools from the local parts store. The set for your car, should look like these:

fuel%20rail.jpg

Bleed off fuel pressure from the schrader valve first!

Insert the tool into the disconnect. While pushing the tool IN you must pull the fuel connector APART.

May be a good idea to soak the connections with WD40 or Liquid Wrench. Another pair of hands can make it a ton easier as well.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll need to pickup a set of fuel line disconnect tools from the local parts store. The set for your car, should look like these:

fuel%20rail.jpg

Bleed off fuel pressure from the schrader valve first!

Insert the tool into the disconnect. While pushing the tool IN you must pull the fuel connector APART.

May be a good idea to soak the connections with WD40 or Liquid Wrench. Another pair of hands can make it a ton easier as well.

Sorry, I get the fuel line part. What I am trying to get is how to jump the fuel pump to run so I can empty the tank.

Sorry, I get the fuel line part. What I am trying to get is how to jump the fuel pump to run so I can empty the tank.

Oh... Sorry. lol I get in a rush sometimes. Here's a piece from wmburns.

If what you are trying to do is drain the tank, I can help. Disconnect the fuel filter and place a hose to direct the gas into a container.

Find connector C240. C240 is in the rear center of the gas tank under the bumper. It is a round connector the is easily visible from the rear of the car.

Open the connector and inject 12 volts to the RD/BK and BN/PK wires TOWARDS the fuel pump. This will make the fuel pump run at 100%. If nothing comes out, reverse the leads.

If anyone chimes in and says something about running the fuel pump at 100%, just relax. It won't hurt the fuel pump. Why? Because with the line disconnected, the pump will not be working against any head.

If you are trying to trouble shoot the fuel pump, let me know. It's not clear from the post. Note, on the 1999 Cobra, if there is power to the IFS switch, then the CCRM is working. There should be power to the IFS switch anytime the key is on. If not, STOP and find out why.

Why not get a drain plug installed in the tank ? Its a lot easier in the long run to remove the gas....no lines need to be disconnected. Running the pump will only remove some of the gas. There will still be some in the tank that'll turn to varnish. Everyone also knows that the last thing you want to do to one of our beautiful fuel pumps is run them dry.

A hole saw or step drill bit will make easy work of the plastic cover and the metal tank. The bung for the drain will have to be welded on, so tank will need to be removed....just remember the fumes in the tank are explosive.

When I've had to weld tanks I drain all the gas with fuel tank and sending unit removed. Rinse well with water, dump, and let it air dry after blowing as much moisture out as possible.

I know you hate to drill a pristine tank, but you want have to worry about varnish or rust clogging the filter and injectors.

Do not use a drill on a gas tank( that hasn't been washed out )...the drill can ignite the fuel.... A nail works good to mark the tank and the cover....just hammer it through the plastic and onto the metal..move it around with your hand. It'll leave a mark so that you know both holes line up. Don't put it through the tank.

Find the lowest point for you.
Depending on how you raise your car the location can be different than others. Stay mindful of the baffle around the pump area.

Last edited: