Sirius Onyx Connection To Base 2016 Radio

Sep 26, 2015
I posted this on the 2016+ side of this site in error maybe. I bought a 2016 V6 coupe that is not deep in options and the radio is one area. I need the Sirius radio signal but have not had any luck hooking a Onyx Plus receiver to the usb ports on the car. I keep getting responses from the radio system telling me that there is nothing connected to the chosen usb port. I have a IPOD cable connecting the Onyx to the usb port the whole time and the power connected to the receiver so I'm baffled.I disconnected and reconnected the usb cable and the power cable a number of times which didn't help.After trying to get a signal for two or three days,I contacted Sirius and was given the option of using the FM radio connection route. I was able to get a Sirius signal on the designated local radio frequency. However there is a weak local station on this frequency that intrudes on the Sirius signal making for a sorry reception. I can move onto the next radio frequency recommended by Sirius but I would prefer to use a cable hook up. I need an auxillary port but evidently this car doesn't have one. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I called the Sync number and talked to a technician who confirms that there is no aux connection on this car and that hooking up an Onyx receiver to the usb ports will not work. The only way to get a signal is to use the Onyx fm function and a local radio frequency with no or weak signal to connect to the car radio. I've tried a couple of the Sirtius recommended local frequencies but they are occupied with weak radio stations that bleed over to the Sirius signal. This makes for a sorry radio experience. Anybody have a suggestion?

I went through the owners manual again and saw where the usb ports recognize Apple devices and apparently nothing else like the Sirius Onyx receiver. Also the manual states that there is an auxillary port in the console along with a power port and usb connection point. So I started a more thorough search of the console by pulling up a small rubber mat in the bottom of the console with no luck and using a flashlight to help with the ambient lighting to no more luck. I guess you have to spring for a different radio with satellite reception capability. I wonder how much that would cost? I think Ford is the only source for a radio for this car by my web search results.

After much web research, I think an FM direct adapter is needed to take the place of the omitted factory aux in port. The local Best Buys car audio shop made a suggestion that sounds like this piece of equipment but, at the time,I was not willing to have someone pull my new cars radio out of the dash to install something that I wasn't clear on. I'm going to go by their store and try to get more detail on what type of work they're wanting to do.

Went by the Best Buys and showed them the web print out on the FM adapter and they indicated that this piece of hardware is what they use to solidly connect the Onyx to the stock radio. They promise much better reception with this adapter and from experience with the hook up to the wifes Avalon, I'm going to drop the $140 to install it this saturday.

Yep, the FM Direct connection is the way to go. No static and overlapping local station interference. Best Buys did a great job with the installation and it is a very clean looking set up.