Smart Key

Feb 23, 2015
So the other day I stopped to get gas, and I guess I had a faulty battery, so my key wouldn't start the car. Pretty crazy. I took out the key inside the unit, and for the life of me couldn't find anywhere to place it to start the car. Luckily I took the battery out and put back in (after about 30 minutes), and I was able to start the car. I then went and bought a battery so it wouldn't happen again.

I couldn't find anywhere in the manual what to do if this happens with the manual key. Anyone know if there's a spot to manually use the key for ignition?

• Sponsors (?)

The manual key is only used to open the doors in the event that the battery is dead. All of the ignition functions operate through the start button. To use the key you need to pop the back side of the door handle off to reveal the key slot.

If your battery legitimately has a problem it is covered under the Ford warranty and should be honored by any Ford dealer nation wide, there is no reason to buy a new battery out of pocket so soon. If this is a recurring issue then I would encourage you to take the car back to the dealer for service.

That's a whole different story, lol. My bad for assuming it was the car battery

This is one of those questions that makes me think too then....:thinking:

Usually you hold the key directly by the start button in most vehicles with similar setups. That lets the reader read the chip in the fob without the fob having to actually transmit the signal over air. Take the battery out and try that.

I stand corrected "New in the 2014 Lincoln MKZ and the 2015 Ford Mustang, the backup slot is hidden under the cup holders. A rubber mat at the bottom of the cup holders will need to be removed (A) to expose the slot (B), as shown. Of course any cups will have to come out too! After inserting the key, use the Start / Stop ignition button and brake pedal to start your vehicle as usual. Once the car is started, the Intelligent Access key can be removed and the mat, and any cups, replaced."

So the other day I stopped to get gas, and I guess I had a faulty battery, so my key wouldn't start the car. Pretty crazy. I took out the key inside the unit, and for the life of me couldn't find anywhere to place it to start the car. Luckily I took the battery out and put back in (after about 30 minutes), and I was able to start the car. I then went and bought a battery so it wouldn't happen again.

I couldn't find anywhere in the manual what to do if this happens with the manual key. Anyone know if there's a spot to manually use the key for ignition?
I stand corrected "New in the 2014 Lincoln MKZ and the 2015 Ford Mustang, the backup slot is hidden under the cup holders. A rubber mat at the bottom of the cup holders will need to be removed (A) to expose the slot (B), as shown. Of course any cups will have to come out too! After inserting the key, use the Start / Stop ignition button and brake pedal to start your vehicle as usual. Once the car is started, the Intelligent Access key can be removed and the mat, and any cups, replaced."
I know I’m a little late to the party, RaiderStangATX10. But as CrzyAzn mentioned, you can find the following information in your owner’s manual under the Starting and Stopping the Engine section:

The system does not function if:

• The key frequencies are jammed.
• The key battery has no charge.

If you are unable to start the engine, do the
following:

1. Remove the rubber covering (A) in the
cupholder.

2. Place the remote in the backup slot (B)
with the buttons facing up and the
keyring toward the front of the vehicle.

3. With the key in this position, press the
brake pedal (automatic transmission)
or clutch pedal (manual transmission),
then the START button to switch the
ignition on and start your vehicle.

Also, be sure to address this with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this if needed.

Deysha