Smog Pump Bypass Question

pelensky

Feb 8, 2009
I was planning to use a shorter belt to bypass the smog pump.

1) Will this throw a code?

2) Is it necessary to remove the pump and pipes or can I keep them in place just not spinning the pump (as a result of the belt bypass)?

• Sponsors (?)

If you're just running it that way for a track day, then go ahead and just run a short belt. You might gain a tenth if you're really lucky. Otherwise, there really isn't any advantage to bypassing it. The pumps really only most active during start up. They practically freewheel on the highway. You'll notice ZERO performance gain on the street. That and they have a tendency to ceaze up if bypassed for any great length of time.

Not worth the cost of a short belt IMO. Install a set of under drive pulleys if you're trying to reduce parasitic loss. Much more effective.

It's actually not about power. It is about the noise the pump makes.

So I guess your saying that if the pump does not turn it will eventually cease up. If I replace the pump will a new one be quieter or do they all make a racket. Sounds like a bad bearing but I understood that they all make noise. Also the car only has 21k original miles so I don't think it is bad. All other accessories bearings are original and very very quiet.

It's actually not about power. It is about the noise the pump makes.

So I guess your saying that if the pump does not turn it will eventually cease up. If I replace the pump will a new one be quieter or do they all make a racket. Sounds like a bad bearing but I understood that they all make noise. Also the car only has 21k original miles so I don't think it is bad. All other accessories bearings are original and very very quiet.

I don't even notice the one on my fox when it's running, so it's possible that after 20+ years, even with only 21k miles, you could have a bad bearing.

FWIW, you can pick up a remanufactured one For about $225.....but I'm betting a quick look through your local classifieds will reveal dozens of them.

Plenty of misinformed people out there under the impression that removing their smog pump is the first thing they should do when they buy their car. An EGR delete is usually the second. ;)

Take the belt off and spin the pump by hand, you'll hear noise or feel some binding if the bearings have gone dry, which is very possible over time. You'd have to disassemble it to re-lube the bearings, which is probably possible but I hear challenging.

Personally I wouldn't put a used one on a car with super-low miles, chances are the used one's going bad too.

You can get a reman for not a whole lot more than the replacement belt or an idler setup. I'd keep it (it will give the catalytic converters longer life if you leave it on).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-A-1-C...ash=item210d2bb975:g:OOsAAOSwdU1W-6nU&vxp=mtr