Smog pump removal

Ok, I'm going over to my buddies house this Sunday to watch the football games. While were at it, we're also going to throw a new belt on the 5.0 being as my current one is really starting to squeak when the engine is cold. I figure, while were putting on a new belt, why not try to disconnect the smog pump. My question is this:

I understand disconnecting the smog pump includes more than just removing the pump from the engine, and if done incorrectly, the car will run much worse than before it was removed.

Is it even worth my time removing this good for nothing waste of horsepower, and if so, what EXACTLY am I doing to ensure I do this the right way? I hear it has to do with plugging up the hoses that connect to the back of the pump or something. Is this correct?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

You will not notice much of a power increase. I have never run one and the cars have always run fun. If you have emissions testing I do not recommend you removing it.

When removing the Smog Pump and tubing, there will be holes behind the heads that will need to be plugged. Ive heard of people using spark plugs to plug them up. Never tried it myself. Also on the exhaust, dont know if u have stock exhaust or not, there will be a tube that leads from the smog pump to the exhaust that will need to be taken care of.

You can just skip the pulley if that is what you are talking about. If you take the pump off with all the lines you need to plug the holes in the back of your heads and whatever hole you have in your mid pipe from where the pump enterd air into the exhaust system.

i have just recently done this. First of all, do not remove your pump if you are still running cats. You'll plug them up and end up running worse. Second, don't expect much, if any HP gains. Most people do it for weight and to clean up the engine bay a bit. Other than that, its pretty simple. You'll need to plug the back of you're heads with a 5/8-11 x 3/4 bolt if i remember correctly, when you take the tubing off. You'll also have to plug (weld) where the emissions enter your crossover pipe. Besides that, basically just disconnect everything and unbolt! And run a shortbelt. i took off my a/c and put on UD's so my length won't apply.

For an easier way to plug the back off the back of heads, cut the crossover tube away from the 2 blocks that bolt to the back of the head. Turn them around with some hi-heat RTV and bolt them back into place. You don't have to run allover the place to find bolts and washers like I did on my 89. I learned this easier way with my 93. Good luck and it cleans up the engine compartment allot....

Not trying to steal the post here, I just wanted to check my situation out. I have ful length headers, all i have to do is remove the belt, remove the pump and tubing, and then plug the rear of the head, then run a shorter belt? Can i just unscrew the smog tubes from the heads?
Thanks

Not trying to steal the post here, I just wanted to check my situation out. I have ful length headers, all i have to do is remove the belt, remove the pump and tubing, and then plug the rear of the head, then run a shorter belt? Can i just unscrew the smog tubes from the heads?
Thanks

The holes in the heads will need to be plugged, as will the hole in the exhaust where the air enterd from smog pump.

Same here, passed NJ emissions with flying colors here.....smog pump is hooked up but just pumping air out of the outlet into the air.....my heads dont have smog holes in the back of em, and also no egr, n passed through with flying colors. the guy that put it on the rollers was actually surprised how quick it passed. Had cats on but didnt have the air line hooked to it, maybe 3 months after the one cat's insides came loose, i can see the honeycomb came loose on the first cat and was floating around in there, sounded like a hammer was in my motor. Although it was the original catted h pipe might have been it's time to go or cuz it wasnt getting the smog pump air, (the pipe was open, exhaust was leaking out) coincidence? maybe? ,maybe not but o well