Smoking Fusible Link

theconductor

15 Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
Roseville, CA
I've searched on here and found some help, but not exactly what I need.

My battery drained, because like an idiot I left the key in the ignition in the acc or on position. I jumped my car and it started fine. As it was warming up I noticed smoke coming from the wires near the solenoid. I'm 99% sure it was the green 14 amp fusible link that was smoking. The "gel" was starting to ooze as well. The car was still running fine the entire time.

I do have a high torque mini starter if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help.

Kyle

@jrichker

• Sponsors (?)

64326d1287785504-fusible-link-burned-up-need-help-87-93-5.0-mustang-fuse-links.gif

Fuse links come with a current rating just like fuses. A clue as to what current they are designed for is to look at the size wire they protect.

Choose the fuse according to the wire size.

64326d1287785504-fusible-link-burned-up-need-help-87-93-5.0-mustang-fuse-links.gif

Fuse links come with a current rating just like fuses. A clue as to what current they are designed for is to look at the size wire they protect.

Choose the fuse according to the wire size.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. Since it was a 14 gauge fuse link, I should replace it with a fuse of the appropriate for that size of wire? Should I be worried about what caused the short?

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. Since it was a 14 gauge fuse link, I should replace it with a fuse of the appropriate for that size of wire? Should I be worried about what caused the short?
Look at the drawing, it says 14 gauge green fuse link, use that for a replacement.

If the fuse link is smoking, there is a short circuit either in the alternator or the black/orange power wire connected to the alternator. Either one would run down your battery so that you can't start the engine.

Remove the alternator and take it to AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts and they will test it for free.

Did you charge the battery before you jumped the car or did you jump the car and attempt to allow your alt to do all the charging for you? You probably over taxed the wire because the battery needed everything the alt had and some.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you charge the battery before you jumped the car or did you jump the car and attempt to allow your alt to do all the charging for you? You probably over taxed the wire because the battery needed everything the alt had and some.

That sounds very possible. I didn't charge the battery at all. I don't have a charger for Optima batteries yet. I suppose I should charge a bit first.

Now I get to pick up that and a new fuselink tonight!

Smoking fuse able links, has been shown to cause ulcers and the burning plastics cause lung cancer.

Seriously, this is another diagram to print out and save in your custom manual!

Reactions: 1 user