So How Do I Know If My Stock Speakers Need To Be Replaced?

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
speakers.jpg

:shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Ah yes, i was wondering what the stock ones underneath look like. Good question. I see kits being sold online, but don't really know if they will all really fit. I believe looking at this, and since the sound is limited, and upgrade is recommended.

Ah yes, i was wondering what the stock ones underneath look like. Good question. I see kits being sold online, but don't really know if they will all really fit. I believe looking at this, and since the sound is limited, and upgrade is recommended.

Here is what I have done:

Go to www.crutchfield.com put in the make and model of your car. Study all of the results as they are usually very accurate. Once you have all of the dimensions and everything, you can check their prices against others. The adapter kits that they sell are in my opinion, worth their weight in gold. Consider this when comparing prices. Crutchfield is out the door with their "free" installation kits which are actually factored into their pricing.

Go to www.crutchfield.com put in the make and model of your car. Study all of the results as they are usually very accurate. Once you have all of the dimensions and everything, you can check their prices against others. The adapter kits that they sell are in my opinion, worth their weight in gold. Consider this when comparing prices. Crutchfield is out the door with their "free" installation kits which are actually factored into their pricing.
Nice one, they do have it all. Every kit i'll probably need. Thanks

Hey man I was looking at some of the speakers they have and I wanted to know which ones you went with? Also, did you have to wire in an amp or not? I know there are some speakers that do require an amp

Hey man I was looking at some of the speakers they have and I wanted to know which ones you went with? Also, did you have to wire in an amp or not? I know there are some speakers that do require an amp

The speakers that require an amplifier are ones that have an operating range (measured in RMS) higher than what the source output is.

For example: If I have a speaker that has an RMS rating of 100 watts, then I need 100 watts (RMS) per channel to make that speaker work its best. If my head unit is only putting out 35W per channel, it doesn't mean the speaker is useless. It means that it's capable of a lot more power.

That said, you need to plan out your components. Maybe your head unit has these outputs:

Front Left
Front Right
Rear Left
Rear right
Subwoofer out (can either be speaker level outputs or RCA line level output)

Let's say my head unit puts out 50 watts per channel.
I would be looking for speakers in the 25Watt RMS range to mount in those locations

--unless--

I wanted more than 35 watts power then I'd buy a 4-channel amplifier with speakers that have an RMS rating 33-50% of the per channel output of the amplifier.

The subwoofer output usually a line level RCA output and will almost always require and amplifier.