So I started another job this week...

'66 coupe

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Lakeland, Fl.
I'm now working at this place:EDITED OUT

Apparently it's a pretty popular shop in the [area].

Basically I just help out with shipping, stocking, cleaning, answering questions, and getting customers parts they want.

I also work at Best Buy, where everything is strictly routine. So it's a little rough jumping into a job where you're costantly doing something different(I never imagined all the different questions that people can ask about a 302). Being that it's a smaller privately owned company, I want to jump in and earn what the owners are paying me for. But I also don't want to jump in and screw something up.
It's just funny cause last week this was something I really wanted, and now I'm starting to wonder. You just never think you'd second guess having an opportunity like this...I guess only time will tell though.

Either way, I should be getting my degree in two semesters, so hopefully within the next two years, I'll be carrying a gun and driving cars really fast :D .

• Sponsors (?)

I edited the name out because I might say something I shouldn't. LOL

I'm gonna go down to a Ford dealer tomorrow and see if they still want to hire me for a service job :D . Unfortunately, I got a call from the dealership the day after I agreed to start working at the performance shop.

Working at this place just seems like a dead end. I basically stopped learning stuff after a couple days. But for some reason I still can't seem to do things smoothly because there's no SOP. Everything is chaotic and with two owners who don't communicate, it's like working with two different sets of rules. It also doesn't help that everything is ordered out of a HUGE stack of catalogues that are a bitch to go through. With no type of computer system, it takes 5 minutes to pull up a single part number, price, and see whether we have the part, all the while the owner is complaining about how the person calling won't stay on hold forever.:rolleyes:

I'm also starting to question the integrity of the owners. They like to talk crap about customers who don't know as much as them. Sometimes I wonder if they're really concerned about selling stuff to people and making money by the way they act with some customers. Just today, I got a call to see if they would P&P an Acura cylinder head. One of the owners said "no" like it'd be a waste of his time. It is a Ford shop, but they have a full blown machine shop and could easily take care of the kid and make some money. It's not like they're backed up with machine work. The only tool I've seen used in the machine shop was a dremel, and that was on one occassion, by the kid I replaced.
Yet my roommate sold an ugly 80's-style "Ford" windshield banner that's probably been in the shop for 15 years(we couldn't find an existing parts number or price) for $5 less than what it cost(we guessed :rlaugh: ) and got chewed out. They constantly drive business away, but hassle me and my roommate to make sure we don't.

Needless to say, I'm out of there ASAP. If I get desperate for income, Circuit City pays top dollar to "recruit" Best Buy employees.

I never asked about a discount. The way these guys are they seem like they want to turn a profit on anything they move; probably because they send so many customers away.
My roommate stated today that after we're done there he'd go somewhere else and pay more money just not to go back.

The thing that bugs the crap out of me is that today I discovered the contents of one of their buildings. First I saw an unrestored 50's t-bird, and an unrestored 71-73 Mustang sitting under rolls of carpets and other crap. So of course I had to walk all the way through the building and see what else was there.
What I saw was:
-2 '95 Cobra R's
-a Humvee(military is implied in that word)
-a 30's MG
-a 70 Boss Mustang(302 probably)
-a handfull of Foxes
-a Boss 429 Engine and other assorted classic Mustang parts
It would probably take a week to clean the lot to where you could actually move any of these cars out of the building. Why can't cool people like us have cool stuff like this?:shrug: