So what all does the Predator do?

bonestock87

Founding Member
Dec 19, 2001
Cape Coral, FL
What if anything can the Predator tuner do? Are there any gains to be had for a totally stock 4.6? I'm just now reading about the tuners and it seems this one is everyone's favorite. It can correct the speedo I know, but what else? I'm afraid that the 4.6 is a new beast to me. I've owned 3 fox-body 5.0 cars, but this is my first mod-motored pony.

• Sponsors (?)

Add/Remove Timing
Add/Remove Fuel
Traction Control on/off
Rear o2s on/off
Adjust for gears or tires
Shift firmness (auto)
Adjust when the fans turn on

Basically the main benefits are for gears, O/R mid pipes, turn of TC, and a few ponies.

Some prefer the Diablo Predator, while some prefer the new kid on the block, the SCT XCalibrator 2. Most people here are going to recommend the one they have (surprise!). Both will get you maybe 15 HP from the performance tune(s) they come pre-loaded with. In addition to the speedo correction you mentioned, both will also read/clear trouble codes and datalog. Datalogging becomes important if you decide to go for custom tuning, and custom tuning is really only needed when you add several performance mods. For custom tuning, neither unit really holds an advantage over the other, it just depends on whether your tuner of choice uses Diablo or SCT software.

And if you get a power adder later you can purchase a custom tune for an additional $120.00 dollars :nice: But I would check with your local shop and see which company they use SCT or Diablo. It would suck if there not familiar with your equipment when trying to dyno tune your car. :nonono:

I love knowledge! Thanks for the overview guys! :nice:

Right now I'm trying to decide whether I want gears first (3.73's or 4.10's) or if I want to go with a cat-back exhaust (most likely from Mac). But after those two things, I want to see about underdrives and timing adjustments. That's when I thought knowing about tuners may prove advantageous.

bonestock87 said:
I love knowledge! Thanks for the overview guys! :nice:

Right now I'm trying to decide whether I want gears first (3.73's or 4.10's) or if I want to go with a cat-back exhaust (most likely from Mac). But after those two things, I want to see about underdrives and timing adjustments. That's when I thought knowing about tuners may prove advantageous.
With the mod motor, nothing less than 4.10s - ck my sig...I wish I'd listen to others and not my tuner who told me 3.73s where perfect for the street - SO WRONG! They are better than stock, but 4.10s are perfect.
Avoid MAC like the plague unless you want crappy fit.
Underdrives still provide some gains, but not as much as the 5.0 motors - Ford got smart and found some of the power themselves.
Tuners - yeah, whatever YOUR tuner supports - that's the most important factor.

:OT: Hey twogts4us - I just moved back to TN from the TB area. Belleair actually, in Pinellas County. Gorgeous place to live, but good grief at the traffic! :bang: 6 months of it was all I could stand! Got to see some seriously rare (read expensive) cars on a daily basis though!

I'd go for gears before a catback if it's one or the other.

And on a side note, I disagree with people who talk crap about Mac.. especially when it comes to their mid-pipes. You get what you pay for usually.. however I bought their o/r h pipe for 140 bucks, and I love it. I sprang the extra 10 bucks for the coated version, so I wouldn't wind up one of the whino's wondering how come it's rusting.

I personally don't find fitting two pipes together to be much of a challenge, so I've never had a fitament problem.. maybe I'm just the odd-ball.

Give Me TP said:
Some prefer the Diablo Predator, while some prefer the new kid on the block, the SCT XCalibrator 2. Most people here are going to recommend the one they have (surprise!). Both will get you maybe 15 HP from the performance tune(s) they come pre-loaded with. In addition to the speedo correction you mentioned, both will also read/clear trouble codes and datalog. Datalogging becomes important if you decide to go for custom tuning, and custom tuning is really only needed when you add several performance mods. For custom tuning, neither unit really holds an advantage over the other, it just depends on whether your tuner of choice uses Diablo or SCT software.
This guys sums it up write here, both will do the same things.
As for Mac I mostly hear about their Throttle Body causing strange idle problems. Cat-Back not to much but maybe there are issues. :flag:

road rage said:
I thought predator wasnt that great:shrug:
A lot of it depends on who you listen to. There are many brand loyal people who will make posts like "SCT all the way!" or "Nothing but Diablosport" without really helping someone trying to learn about these things. It really depends on your own personal needs. Why buy an $800 tuning package when all you need is to recalibrate for gears and turn off your MIL?

Scroll past the cheerleader-like posts and read the ones that have substance.

mrvax said:
Do these tuners require a chip? Does it plug into the EEC port and stay there or does it download a tune into the factory ECU?

they plug into the factory EEC port and then it downloads your factory tune and uploads the predator or custom tune. All tunes can be uploaded to a computer and transfered as needed via email etc.

propellerhead said:
A lot of it depends on who you listen to. There are many brand loyal people who will make posts like "SCT all the way!" or "Nothing but Diablosport" without really helping someone trying to learn about these things. It really depends on your own personal needs. Why buy an $800 tuning package when all you need is to recalibrate for gears and turn off your MIL?

Scroll past the cheerleader-like posts and read the ones that have substance.
:stupid: Brand loyalty seems to be very strong on these products. Perhaps that means that we can conclude that they are all pretty good. BTW, Predator > ALL

Kilgore Trout said:
BTW, Predator > ALL
Except SCT...!
Seriously guys, no need to dispute this topic. Either company offers excellent products. IMO, SCT is geared a bit more toward the high-end HOME tuner, as PropellerHead kinda poked at. 95% of SCT users don't use the $800 Pro Racer Package, nor do they need it. But SCT does gives away their basic tuner PC software.
For most users, they would be happy with either product, but yep, there is a lot of brand loyality out here...nothing wrong with that. :cheers:

most everyone on this board is guilty of brand loyalty or you wouldn't be here, most own Fords.
MAC offroad H pipe is the only product I have owned by them and it is great, I have heard people talk about fitment but haven't seen a problem on even 5.0 cars. I have installed or helped install many on many Mustangs. Maybe its the mechanic, maybe like with most products, a few get dinged or bent up somewhere between the factory and the consumer. It seem that there are not a lot of good things said about a lot of their other products. Some of that depends on the person using and what their expectations are.
I have always looked on these boards to help decide what works well and what doesn't. If 20 people like a product and 3 don't , it's prob. good. Most products today are good , very few actually perform as the ads in magazines claim.

If I were going out today and buying a new flash tuner, I would probably get an XCal 2. Would I sell the Predator I have to get an XCal 2, no. Used Predators turn up occasionally at very good prices ($250 and up) which will perform every function a new one will. The XCal 2 does have what appears to be a somewhat better datalogging capability, and will interface with the aforementioned SCT Pro Racer Package. Self-tuning or "road tuning" is possible with either unit, assuming you can adjust parameters on XCal 2 or will soon be able to. I personally use a Predator to do so, along with a semi-permanently installed wideband O2 datalogger, Predator datalogging, and an occasional dyno session.