So who's married?

65shlbycln

Founding Member
Aug 24, 2002
Atlanta
Well, I'm about to turn 21, the same age as my father when he got married. Everyone around me is getting married, already married, or probably with the person they're gonna marry.

I've heard that most college students meet their spouses in school. The problem with that for me is that i go to Georgia Tech, where the guy/girl ratio is 5/1. And my best friend there (a girl) is married too! I think out of all the girls on campus, i can point to 2 that im interested in. My uncle had 4 girls, so its up to me and my brother to carry on the "dos Santos" name. And everytime i go to visit my grandparents, they ask where's my wife! I'm only a year away from graduating too, so its all starting to hit me....

...so...I'm just interested in stories on how you met your spouses. They should be interesting!

• Sponsors (?)

Not me, turn 40 this year and have no plans to EVER marry. Seen too many bad marriages around me and all my married friends are miserable. My best friend at work just had his second child, then his wife announces she has decided not to work anymore. Some partnership that is, whatever happened to equal rights? Guess that doesn't also mean equal responsibilities. Needless to say they are struggling now.
Besides, who has time for a wife and kids between working on the car, fishing, and playing with the dog. I do still enjoy dating, best part is when she starts trying to "improve" me just take some time off and find another one.

I'm single, THANK GOD! I'm 20 years old, I do not need to be married at this point in time.

On the other hand, I feel your pain since we go to school together. Not to mention I've always been rather shy with the ladies and am therefore usually unsuccessful as meeting women or getting dates. Whereas, out of my close friends from high school, <u><b>all</u></b> of them are married, have a kid(s), or both. Actually, only 1 of them falls into that second category. I was a groomsman in a wedding for a high school pal in my first semester of college. The year before I'd been an usher at another friend's wedding. I was almost the bestman in a quickie military wedding last august. When you're 20, don't get women and are seeing all of your friends get married, I gotta tell you it's scary and weird.

However, I can tell you how some of my friend's met their spouses, and how my parents met:
my mom and dad met when my mom who has just moved from wisconsin started frequenting the 7-11 my dad managed, and insulting him when he'd ask if she needed anyhting else when she'd come to pay. This was (i think) 1989. They eloped (as in, they got ina car and drove to the courthouse) in 1982 and almost exactly 1 year later I was born.

two of my friends dated for their last 2 years of high school and for the first couple years of his time at college. They married half-way to his degree which he did finish and they now have a kid.

two of my friends are older (he's about to be 30) and were married when I met them. He was at college in her home state of oklahoma. She was a couple years younger and they worked at a restaurant together. She hated him as first and he wasn't to fond of her either. Opposites attract? They just had their 3rd child and have been married...eeeh 7 years i wanna say?

2 of my friends met smoking grass at a concert (if you met them, you'd say "well, that figures.") They're been married about 2 years now - they stopped smoking grass hhaha.

2 of my friends met at work (where I also worked, go figure). They've been married almost 3 years and have their first child on the way. Trust me, they are living proof that opposites can attract.

I could go on, but there you go.

For me, the most serious relationship I've had...I met her after Id ated her sister. Bwuahaha beautiful no?

My advice, stop looking at Tech (though you're in a better position than me to do so with your major you prick!) The few girls I've seen there who aren't just tear jerking to look at, are usually taken or are just plain b*tches! In fact, stop looking. You take that strategy they're you're looking for a wife and you're probably going to end upw ith someone you don't really want to be with. Just meet women, becomes friend swith them and see what happens. All of the stories I mentioned, in thebeginning involved the people meeting and just hanging out. All of the men were dating other women when they met their wives. My mom will tell you that my dad's female room mate kept a whiteboard with a name, phone number, time last called and message left for each of the girls my dad was *cough*dating*cough*. My parents will have been married 22 years in October.

Back in college, my old Electrical Engineering Lab Partner/Sidekick introduced me to his little sister. He says he fixed us up because he didn't like the whiney little freak to whom she was engaged; but personally I think he just wanted to take me out of circulation to improve his odds at drinking all the beer and chasing women :rolleyes:

That was 23 years, three kids, four homes, six dogs ago; and we're still together. Couldn't be happier.

chemeng, two thoughts:
1.) Your buddy's life may or may not suck depending on his and his wife's priorities in this matter. Lots of guys like their wives "Barefoot and pregnant ion the kitchen"; lots of parents like the idea of the kids always having a parent at home and think the financial sacrifice is worth it. For the record; my wife and I each work 40-50 hours/week and our kids have all had excellent babysitters that we trusted. None of the kids is an axe-murderer; on the contrary, they're more stable than most of the kids their age that I've ever heard of.

2.) Washing the car and fishing won't replace a lifetime companion; and mindless dating (while a whole lot of fun, I readily admit) hopefully won't result in your best creation ever - which is a child. And I can tell you that the wife eventually does give up and quits trying to improve you - it only took about 6 years for my wife to accept me the way she got me :D

Still Dreamin'

I met my wife when I was 16 and start working at Burger King. We became friends first and hung out a lot. Went through a couple rough spots, but in the end we found we were right for each other. Well, she figured it out before I did. We've been married 5 years, have probably screwed up in every possible way finacially and we're still happy. She never tried to change me. She knew what she was getting into from the begining. She's the main reason I still have my Stang. Anytime I talk about selling it I get a smack on the head. I know have a great son and a beautiful daughter to pass my sickness onto. I wouldn't change it for anything.

chemeng said:
Not me, turn 40 this year and have no plans to EVER marry. Seen too many bad marriages around me and all my married friends are miserable. My best friend at work just had his second child, then his wife announces she has decided not to work anymore. Some partnership that is, whatever happened to equal rights? Guess that doesn't also mean equal responsibilities. Needless to say they are struggling now.
Besides, who has time for a wife and kids between working on the car, fishing, and playing with the dog. I do still enjoy dating, best part is when she starts trying to "improve" me just take some time off and find another one.

Im sorry you missed out on life because people around you arent perfect. :nonono:

StangDreamin' said:
Back in college, my old Electrical Engineering Lab Partner/Sidekick introduced me to his little sister. He says he fixed us up because he didn't like the whiney little freak to whom she was engaged; but personally I think he just wanted to take me out of circulation to improve his odds at drinking all the beer and chasing women :rolleyes:

That was 23 years, three kids, four homes, six dogs ago; and we're still together. Couldn't be happier.

chemeng, two thoughts:
1.) Your buddy's life may or may not suck depending on his and his wife's priorities in this matter. Lots of guys like their wives "Barefoot and pregnant ion the kitchen"; lots of parents like the idea of the kids always having a parent at home and think the financial sacrifice is worth it. For the record; my wife and I each work 40-50 hours/week and our kids have all had excellent babysitters that we trusted. None of the kids is an axe-murderer; on the contrary, they're more stable than most of the kids their age that I've ever heard of.

2.) Washing the car and fishing won't replace a lifetime companion; and mindless dating (while a whole lot of fun, I readily admit) hopefully won't result in your best creation ever - which is a child. And I can tell you that the wife eventually does give up and quits trying to improve you - it only took about 6 years for my wife to accept me the way she got me :D

Still Dreamin'

theres some wisdom there, except for the college drinking and girl chasing. dont do those.

I'm 24 & not married.

My parents met in the Air Force. Mom had just arrived at Shaw AFB and Dad was her sponsor, but they sent a female to pick her up at the air port. She gave mom a list of guys to stay away from and Dad was at the top of the list. When she first met him, he was working on his 71 Mach I with his head under the dash and his feet sticking out the window. They ended up getting married at a justice of the peace. All the people who said it wouldn't last are now divorced, but my parents are still together.

-Chelle

65fastback2+2 said:
theres some wisdom there, except for the college drinking and girl chasing. dont do those.

Why not???? Since I discovered alcohol (thanks to my good firends in the Corps) I've made more friends. Why? I'm an abrasive @$$hole, or at least I come off as one when you don't know me. A few shots of liquor in me and I'm the friendliest guy on earth. Not mentioning that there is a lot of proof that drinking acohol lowers your risk of heart disease (but increase risk of liver disease, so binge and purge is a bad idea) which I could use with my family history. I don't drink on a regular basis by any means but getting with some friends and getting drunk, by no means bad as long as you have at least one sober guy around to keep people from getting to stupid.

Girl chasing? Why not?! At Tech it's a varsity sport, cause hardly anyone is catching one hahaha!

17 here, and not married.... and not gonna be for a loooong while. I've still gotta go through college after another year of high school. I plan on engineering of some sort, probably electrical. Plan on goin' to Rolla or K-State. Way too much to do before gettin' married and having kids. Having a girlfriend is expensive enough while keeping two cars and payin for insurance and ESPECIALLY GAS ($1.94 today). Sometimes she just has to put up with me talking about the stang. I try to take her out everytime I spend some money on the car, to make sure she knows the car doesn't mean EVERYTHING lol.

-Shaun

I married at 19, now I am 26 and we are still doing all right.

kind of took the backwards route with life though. Married, started a career, had a kid, decided career was not what we wanted. Then we are back to school heading into our late 20's. Just need to get out lives back to where we want them.

Met my wife at a Halloween party. She was dressed as the Runnaway Bride (dress & running shoes). I was a feeling pretty good, so I went up to her and got done on one knee and proposed to her without even knowing her name. All of her friends thought it was cute. We then talked most of the night and got to know each other. To my suprise she called me the next day and we then started dating shortly after. Two years later a Christmas I tied a ring on one of her presents and proposed for real. We have now been maried 3 years and couldn't be happier.

I'm 28yrs old. I met my wife at work. We've been married for 2 years, just had our first son 3 weeks ago and things haven't been better. Like fastcoupe68 said...she's my best friend. And boy, there's just something about holding a little life that you've created in your arms. It's freakin' amazing. It's SUCH a cliché, but you'll never know what it's like to have a child until you do.

Who in the world is in such a rush to get you married off so young? Man, at 21, there's soo much that's going to change in the next few years, I'd say being married, for most people, is not the thing to do at that time.

At the ripe old age of 30, I still can't get myself to like a gal for more than a few months at a time. I guess I just haven't found the right one yet. I see my friends around me that are struggling, and I see the ones that make it work like it's just the way it was meant to be - that's the person I'm looking for. The one where it just seems like that's the one to be with, and I'm in no particular rush to find her.

this is life, every marriage struggles. so unless ur ok with struggles then you shouldnt evern think about getting married. And loads of people (including my parents) get married at 19. My parents got married at 19, had me at 20, and by 25 had my other 3 brothers. Course that all started 20 years ago! it has to do with maturity and priorities

Sudz said:
Who in the world is in such a rush to get you married off so young? Man, at 21, there's soo much that's going to change in the next few years, I'd say being married, for most people, is not the thing to do at that time.

At the ripe old age of 30, I still can't get myself to like a gal for more than a few months at a time. I guess I just haven't found the right one yet. I see my friends around me that are struggling, and I see the ones that make it work like it's just the way it was meant to be - that's the person I'm looking for. The one where it just seems like that's the one to be with, and I'm in no particular rush to find her.

I have to agree with Sudz. Don't be in a huge rush to marry off so young. Just wait till the right one comes along. I married at 26, 3 years after my wife picked me up in a night club (well, that's my story anyway). I can't say that it was love at first sight, but I knew right away that there was something pretty special about this girl. We now have two fabulous girls that I would not trade for every Shelby mustang in the world. Those who believe being married is the end and kids are bad, I feel sorry for them. It is quite the contrary and words just cannot explain it. You just have to experience it for yourself and it has to be with the one you are destined to be with.