JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
Here is your life

68C083F0-72B3-44FE-98E9-66AC742F2723.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Still fighting with the same issues you were having ?

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

John, I assume you are stripping it down to get the block decked, or are you going the Dart block route? .

nice jackstands btw (for Allen's benefit)

Yes, block deck is ever so slightly not flat enough. Other than that, a really nice original stock 302 short block.

Man I tell ya, the block was stuck to the bell housing via oxidized aluminum at the alignment dowel near the starter. Had to work for awhile to separate it. The plate between the block and trans was corroded enough that pieces fell off of it. I guess I need a new one

Since I'll have this thing completely disassembled I'm considering having the rotating assembly balanced. Is that an odd idea for a all stock 302 bottom end?

What is the factory balance on this 92 302 and if I had it professionally balanced, can I use all existing parts or would I need to get new stuff like harmonic balancer, flywheel, etc.., ?

Since I'll have this thing completely disassembled I'm considering having the rotating assembly balanced. Is that an odd idea for a all stock 302 bottom end?

What is the factory balance on this 92 302 and if I had it professionally balanced, can I use all existing parts or would I need to get new stuff like harmonic balancer, flywheel, etc.., ?
To do it properly, you'll want the balancer, complete rotating assembly, flywheel and clutch assembly (now is the time for an upgrade). The thing will run as smooth as silk.

Reactions: 1 users
no fun.
Edit. after my last hg issue, cometics, colder plugs, copper spray, still warped block, no issues so far! Runs better than ever and I've been driving the urine out of it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
no fun.
Edit. after my last hg issue, cometics, colder plugs, copper spray, still warped block, no issues so far! Runs better than ever and I've been driving the urine out of it!

Were you running the Felpro 9333 before when it failed? They failed on me.

To do it properly, you'll want the balancer, complete rotating assembly, flywheel and clutch assembly (now is the time for an upgrade). The thing will run as smooth as silk.

I pulled this thing and will be stripping it bare all because the block needs decking. I'm not boring it. Gonna stay stock 302 bore and reuse my existing pistons (forged I think). I also love my stock cam with the 1.7 full roller rockers so that is not being changed either. So, other than decking the block it seems like all this trouble will not really gain me anything since cam and bore are staying the same. Since I'm always hell bent to make things better, it looks like a really good balancing job is now in my plans. You have convinced me to do it right with your "smooth as silk" comment.

I will upgrade my clutch too. However, my existing stock style clutch and pressure plate had been replaced just before I bought the car and doesn't have many miles on it. It still looks fantastic. Lathe marks are still visible all the way across the flywheel surface and there's no overheating signs anywhere on any of the friction surfaces . This clutch is certainly not my week link, the rear tires are. But that might change when I put the Nitto 555's on. I got Hankooks on there now. All I can say about the Hankooks is they are a good "fuse" to prevent breaking anything since they suck for good traction.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes sir twice. No issues yet and I've been knocking the dust off the ol girl!

sent from my butt pocket

A local mustang guy told me head lift just happens. But, the ring on the 9333's gets bypassed even with minor head lift. He said the Cometics seal surface is continual so even if the head lifts a little bit, the combustion pressure is still contained and does not reach the water jacket. It makes sense to me.

A local mustang guy told me head lift just happens. But, the ring on the 9333's gets bypassed even with minor head lift. He said the Cometics seal surface is continual so even if the head lifts a little bit, the combustion pressure is still contained and does not reach the water jacket. It makes sense to me.

Head lift on low boost ? Maybe if the head bolts were already stretched . Or stock reused bolts .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't spend anymore money on a stock shortblock than I had to. While its apart you could grab a new balancer(I installed an sfi Pioneer unit from summit). I wouldn't bother messing around much with the rotating assembly other than the rings,bearings, etc etc.

Also a good set of studs or bolts won't allow head lift on a low to moderate boosted motor. The deck being uneven would allow HG failure. If going to cometics you'll need to deck the block anyway. Hopefully this will cure your issue. Just make sure your tune is safe. You're removing the HG as the "fuse" in the equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
1... I use the felpro 9333... 9psi no issues. Torqued to 90 ft lbs arp bolts. Iron heads.

2.... balanced assembly stock stuff revs like a dream

3.... Nitto 555 275/40r17. USELESS broke the tires free at 70mph in 4th get better tires.

4.... safe tune pull 1*timing per lb of boost until you reach 18* total.... afr 11.3-11.7 this best rich torque. Anything richer than 11.1 is too rich anything leaner than 12.1 is an race tune-up and I don't recommend it for a "safe tune"

Reactions: 3 users