Something Broken In The Head

Gutted... got the timing cover off.
Took out the pistons and found that one of the cylinders is damaged.

cylinder1.jpg

cylinder2.jpg

Game over for this block. :(

• Sponsors (?)

You may be ok to rebuild the engine. The pistons don't travel far enough for that chipped out section to really cause a problem imo. I would take the block to a reputable automotive machine shop, explain what you found and have them check the block for any more damage like a cracked cylinder. My guess is that they probably won't find anything else. They can also tell you what their personal opinion is regarding reusing the block for a rebuild. Or, you could swap for another engine, like a 4.0 from an Explorer or something. It would require some homework on your part, but it may be worth it for you. Decisions, decisions.....

Reactions: 1 user
I see you posted this in another thread. What did your machine shop have to say about your block?

I have my 2.8 tore down at the moment.
I only have the heads here at the moment as the block is at the machine shop.

Here's what mine looks like.

head.jpg

Definitely clear.
And I haven't touched or cleaned this up at all.

I talked to a couple of guys in work who grew up on from farms and so have experience of generic engines and workarounds and getting things working that would otherwise be written off. !
One suggested gettings sleeves for the cylinders.
I looked in to it (googel etc) and found that I should be able drill out just the broken cylinder and sleeve it. Then all would still be the same diameter.

I found a local shop, and dropped it off yesterday. They're gonna clean it, check it for cracks and then resleeve that cylinder. They also commented on how good the cylinders looked otherwise.
So another pointer towards that the engine was well maintained, and that the connecting bolt coming loose was kind of unavoidable.

I should get the block back towards the end of next week, hopefully!! so the real rebuild will start then.

Reactions: 1 user
Short update :

Cylinder block passed inspection.
It's slightly out but within spec.

Engine had already been rebuilt before... as the cylinders are + 40/1000.

Two pistons need to be replaced as they were damaged when the connecting rod came loose.

Should get the engine (and the bill) tomorrow.

Great to hear! If I might suggest, the rod bearing cap coming loose was likely caused by the previous rebuilder either over or under-torquing the nuts, or perhaps a bolt that broke after being reused from an engine that previously suffered from rod knock. If it's not too much time & expense, I'd consider replacing all of the rod bolts. There would be nothing worse than having it happen again elsewhere. ARP makes a set, The Official ARP Web Site | Kits

Thanks! Seems like sound advice.
I ordered some paint (2M - the original color) to spray the engine bay while the engine is out.

Reckon I might have bitten way more than I can chew with this, but the next two weeks will tell all.

Thanks! Seems like sound advice.
I ordered some paint (2M - the original color) to spray the engine bay while the engine is out.

Reckon I might have bitten way more than I can chew with this, but the next two weeks will tell all.

One little project at a time my man. My kids thought I was nuts when I first had our II dragged home. One of my neighbors stopped over and said that was 'one ambitious project.' A year later I was driving it around town, a bunch of small, fun, immediately rewarding steps over time. You'll make it too! There's no better time to clean up the bay than now. I'd also suggest checking the brake line to the front right wheel that runs across the crossmember. It was a bear to change after I reinstalled the engine, wish I'd checked it before.

I'd also suggest checking the brake line to the front right wheel that runs across the crossmember. It was a bear to change after I reinstalled the engine, wish I'd checked it before.

Thanks for that tip.
I'd exactly the same idea about the starter motor.
Even though it's probably ok, it's in such a painful spot that I think I'll do some preventative maintenance now while I can access it easily.

You're definitely right about the starter motor. There's no better time to do it than now, as jacking up the engine is required when it's in place. I picked one up at AutoZone a while back, they had one for an '84 Bronco II with the 2.8 that fit perfectly in stock.

Use a lifting chain off Amazon or Ebay if the lifting plate doesnt work. bolt the chain into bolt holes on the heads diagonal from eachother so the chain can lift the engine evenly. USE GRADE 8 BOLTS!!!