speaker suggestions

rio95

Nov 18, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
i want a stereo system for my 1995, but don't want subs. i was thinking about alpine type R's with an alpine amp. i don't know too much about this stuff, but i want the best. i have been told that those speakers are too powerful to not use a amp..

thanks

any other suggestions.

i want a good sound with subs and i don't have mach 460, but i do have an eclipse deck.

• Sponsors (?)

rio95 said:
i want a stereo system for my 1995, but don't want subs. i was thinking about alpine type R's with an alpine amp. i don't know too much about this stuff, but i want the best. i have been told that those speakers are too powerful to not use a amp..

thanks

any other suggestions.

i want a good sound with subs and i don't have mach 460, but i do have an eclipse deck.

If you want to have a good sounding system you will definitly want a clean amp to power your speakers....

As far as component sets... I know focal sounds amazing... MB quart sounds good.. I use boston pro's which sound good but there are the new Boston Z series speakers out now which sound even better... and there are a ton of other good brands that i"ve heard good things about that I just havn't listened to. My friend has Alpine speakers in his car installed in the doors, powered with an amp and I don't think it sounds too great.. I"m not going to sit here and tell you what speakers you should get because a lot of it is personal preference.

Goodluck with whatever speakers you choose to go with though.

Go out and demo some and see what you like.
To add on to what DaFeared listed, CDT's are great speakers and give great midbass. I run the CL-61's and they sound great, though you'll need an amp to run them. Crystals are great speakers, but I don't think they'll give you the bass you need. Depending on your budget, you could also look at JL's XR series. If you want great midbass, you could always go the DIY route. A set of Peerless CSC-X 6.5" or Vifa mids with a pair of Vifa(can't remember the model# off the top of my head) tweeters would sound great. A guy on corral.net named WinterParkStang runs something similar, so if you want his input, he might be able to tell you how they sound in a stang. www.madisound.com carries them and will make a crossover for you based on the components you choose.
Getting bass out of the fronts is very dependant on the install. When I first installed the CDT's, I made a bracket by tracing the old one, and behind it I used a Dynamat speaker kit. It sounded decent, but once I made a better bracket that is secured a lot better, and put a couple layers of deadener on the door, it improved dramatically.