Engine Spun Rod Bearing

mbfwhite

Active User
Jul 30, 2015
Trying to figure out my best options. Just got a new mustang with a spun rod bearing, also got a forged short block, and I also have my old complete engine that need to be gone through and cleaned out.

• Sponsors (?)

Trying to figure out which route I should go, trying not to spend too much. Should I rebuild the engine in it? Any idea on the cost/difficulty of replacing a spun rod bearing? Or swapping over to the built block?

You'll need to give me a little more info, what year, what engine, what do you intend to do with the car?
Swapping a complete engine in and out will take a weekend, fixing a spun rod bearing isn't something that you will be able to do without a machine shop being involved. Swapping your top end to another built short block is possible so long as you are up to the task of phasing the cams and reinstalling the chains.

It's a 2000 gt with a 98 4.6L. It has the pi heads and Anderson n-22 cams, not sure the intake, with BBk throttle body and cai.
And right now plan is to just get it reliably on the road. It's currently drivable, but doesn't sound nice

Swapping your current top end onto a know good working short block would be the route to take in my opinion. Some reading will be required for setting up the timing chains but the rest is all straight forward so long as you have a nice set of hand tools and torque wrench. You may want to consider having the heads cleaned up before bolting them back onto another short block

On the forged short block, how much compression will it have with those heads? What brand did they use? Who built it and how many miles? Why was it sold to you? Any pics?