Sqeaky Belt Noise

kenny reed

Dec 31, 2014
I live in West Texas and we just recently got our first serious cold snap. Anyways along with that cold snap came a squeaky belt on my 2003 3.8 L v6. I used the spray bottle trick and sprayed the belt while the noise was being made, and it did not go away. I next looked at my tensioner which did have a little play in it so I replaced it, and I did check all the pulleys while I had the belt off and they seemed good. Went ahead and replaced idle pulley and put on a new Dayco belt while I was at it. Still a squeaking noise. At this point I was getting a little frustrated so I had my electrical system checked and my battery showed to be bad; maybe the alternator was not charging correctly, putting extra strain on the belt? Anyways had alternator bench tested and while it was in the machine being tested, I could hear a slight chirping sound. There it was, problem solved. So went ahead and purchased another alternator put back on and wouldn't you know chirping sound still there! The car runs fine I am just about to pull my hair out trying to figure out what this could be. Any suggestions would be great!

• Sponsors (?)

My 98 had similar problem. Get a mechanics scope from a part store they are cheap. Thought it was my ps pump but after using the scope found out the chirp was coming from the cam position sensor. If your not sure where that is it is on front of the motor and looks like a distributor shaft missing the top with a sensor on it.