Stains...

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
Southern California
Anyone who lives in SoCal is aware of the recent heavy rain storms. I uncovered my Stang at the storage yard today and found some stains on the hood and trunk from the plastic tarp that covers my roof area. My son said that plastic material has a residual chemical from manufacturing process (chemistry major). Some of the plastic tarps have a disclaimer about residual staining (my high school degree comes in handy once in awhile :D )......anyway, does anyone have some secret potion that will take out the stains? I've tried polishing compounds, rubbing compounds, toothpaste (it's a mild abrasive) and even Mother's Mag wheel cleaner which seems to do a pretty good job, but still takes many applications before seeing even a small difference.

• Sponsors (?)

When my parents parked my 67 coupe in the early 80's they used plastic to cover it. The plastic tarp did the same thing to the hood. I was told that it was because the plastic didn't allow the mositure out. It couldn't breath. I was never really able to get it out. Anthough, I didn't try very hard since the car needed paint anyway.