Stang lovin Brit

ukman

Nov 21, 2004
Hi there. I found this link from Cardomain.com.And well here I am.I was recently on vacation in SoCal when I bought my first Mustang.Having owned several European sportcars over the years I thought it was high time I invested in a true American sportcar icon.I was originally after a V8 but in my search I came across a fully loaded 2000 model V6 convt which was a deal not to be missed! The car is still in the US and I plan to ship it here to the UK early next year.If I can find a way to post pics Il put one or two up.

• Sponsors (?)

ukman:

Your pics did not post. This is because there is a minimum post limit that must be met before you can post pics. I think it's like 75 or 100 replies. Once you have met this pre-requisite then you can post your pics. Good luck. I look forward to seeing pics of your new ride.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome....shipping is not so expensive......but there is tax to pay to Mr Blair..lol. I have worked out that even with the shipping and incidental costs of making the car UK legal it will still be worth more here than all the purchase and shipping costs etc.My car is worth around £8000 here. Thats almost $16000 USD.A fraction of what I paid in CA.Besides there are very few Stangs here.Ive yet to see one on the roads around here.So I will have a very different and special ride..cant wait to see the admiring looks.As for fuel..yes thats expensive here...probably 3 times the cost of yours.Glad you could access the pics on Cardomain.

ukman:

Thanks I like the color too, it's what originally attracted me to the car. Your car looks VERY nice. Over here we see it as exotic when we see a right hand drive vehicle, over there you will be seen as exotic, and cool because you will probably have one of the best looking cars around. Good job! Congratulations on your new car and on joining a unique brotherhood/family. Mustang brothers/sisters united!!!

ukman-

Congrats! It's nice to have the conviction to set a difficult goal and make it happen. You're going to have a unique vehicle that will be getting a lot of looks! Hopefully you'll still be able to source parts from Ford.

What changes will you have to make to the car to make it legal for UK roads? The cars over there are required to have the turn signals on the fender behind the front wheels, right? Will the British license plate fit between the taillights?

Enjoy!

Listen guys ..I cant tell you how good your support and encouragement makes me feel.Its good to know that in a Mustang you are part of something bigger.I have to say thats not always the impression I have been given on some other Stang sites. Pity really.But hey no worries as they say.Yes the car will be a rare sight here.I have had a series of Porsche 911 and 944 over the years and having sold my last Porsche recently this year had been toying with the idea of a Merc SL. I do like my soft tops.!!.However when I was in CA in 2001 and met the California girl of my dreams. We hired a Stang convt and drove off on an adventure which ended in marriage.That car left a lasting impression and needless to say we had a lot of fun in it.Since then the idea of owning one and shipping it here has never really gone away so finally when we were there last month on vacation I just went for it and luckily found my car within 10 miles of where we were based.The sellers were really nice people and after very little haggling a deal was struck.The car is now with my in laws in Palm Desert awaiting the right time to ship.Needless to say Im over the moon and cant forget the drive back to the condo with top down and Steely Dan on the FM radio.Priceless!The car will need some mods to the lights to be legal here.We have to show flashers to both sides and rear flashers must be amber.Also the amber front side lights have to go in place of white lights. However the front flashers must still show amber Finally we have to fit a rear red fog lamp. Not as bad as it sounds really.This will be the third CA car Ive owned although the first ever bought in CA itself.Once again thanks.

Correct!..the Cobra rear lights are perfect for the UK roads.Im sourcing a set now on the classifieds..I assume I will need a set with the correct conversion connectors?

Yes ...I agree in the US..Stangs are a common enough sight....but in the UK we just dont see them. Ford never sold them here.The only ones you are likely to get a glimpse of are the few rare private imports and of course all in LHD.Its the rarity factor here that makes them so very special.Most Brits have only ever seen a Stang in the movies or on the page of a glossy magazine.That pony is gonna turn more heads here then a Ferrari...!!! In fact come to think of it I probably paid less for the car than the cost of a new Ferrari service..!!!

ukman said:
Yes ...I agree in the US..Stangs are a common enough sight....but in the UK we just dont see them. Ford never sold them here.The only ones you are likely to get a glimpse of are the few rare private imports and of course all in LHD.Its the rarity factor here that makes them so very special.Most Brits have only ever seen a Stang in the movies or on the page of a glossy magazine.That pony is gonna turn more heads here then a Ferrari...!!! In fact come to think of it I probably paid less for the car than the cost of a new Ferrari service..!!!

Glad to see that your doing your own thing. As for the Cobra taillights, yes, you will need to rewire it. I believe that there is a conversion harness, but you will have to check around (I'll keep my eyes peeled). Have you checked out 3.8mustang.com? Pretty much all of your questions concerning just about everything can be answered there and welcome to the mustang family!

I just had my new Stang serviced...by proxy of course in the US..lol..as Im here and the Car`s 6000 miles away.Anyway all things bein even and bearing in mind fuel,gasoline ,petroleum is so expensive here in the UK ...realistically and assuming an urban cylcle of restrained driving what can I reasonably expect to get to the gallon out of my V6 auto?Remember our imperial gallon is about a tenth more than the US gallon.Thanks fellas..er sorry and ladies..

My '01 gets around 24 miles per gallon in mixed driving, and I'm not easy on the pedal sometimes! The 5-speed manual is officially rated at 19/29 and the 4-speed auto is rated at 19/27. As usual, I'm sure those upper figures are highly optimistic- as in 60 MPH on the freeway with only one person, level ground, no wind, and maximum tire pressure.

Let's see- 24 MPG works out to around 20 MPG Imperial, or using the Euro mileage rating, 2.59L/100km.

I was over there this summer, and gas was selling in the London suburbs for 80p/L. That's $5.83 a gallon! :jaw: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ukman said:
My car is worth around £8000 here. Thats almost $16000 USD.A fraction of what I paid in CA.

Wait a second?? By this are you impling that you paid MORE than $16,000 USD for a 2000 V6 vert?? :shrug: :shrug:

Good luck with the car overseas. I've always wanted to take my V8 Mustangs overseas and play around in a land filled with 1.5L 4-cylinders. Of course, it must suck when it comes time to fill the tank. I visit the gas station enough as it is with my cars than i am on a first name basis with attendants.

But even a 3.8L V6 is a pretty big engine by your standards I supposed.