Stang lovin Brit

nope. read what he typed. He said that his car is worth about 16,000 over seas. In the USA, where he bought it, he got it dirt cheap. I should ship mustangs over seas and resell them. I just need an old oil tanker with a huge deck, and I'd be set for life. Selling mustangs right off the ship as i go down the shorline. LOL, :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Ah ok i get it. I figured that since Mustangs overseas anyway cost more than here. I think in 2002, you could buy a Cobra in Australia for 80K. That's rediculous.

I wonder how much i could sell my clean Fox for overseas.

Ghostalker said:
yeah, he said rear ambers (hence the cobra tails)
red rear foglight? wtf m8!? never seen one of dem,

They are just brighter rear taillights.

Volvo has them on their cars. When you flip the rear Fog Light switch, a pair of brighter red bulbs lights up in the taillights.

Thanks guys for the wealth of replies... gave me a lot to think about.If you guys can get 24 per US gal then I should be able to get a bit more as the UK gal is about a tenth more.Il be a happy camper!!I paid $6500 for my car and I think I did pretty well, considering its a 2000 convt with all the toys including upgraded wheels and a rear spoiler. Given the current exchange rates I calculate the car if here would be worth about £8000..which is not far off $16000. Great time to buy American! Yes we need amber rear flashers and also on the side of the front wings..[ fenders ] A rear red fog light which is illuminated by a switch in the cabin/dash is also a legal requirement here.We also have to lose the front amber side lights. Other than that...no problemo!

When I first started looking for a Mustang I decided to go for the 5 speed as I figure its the sportier option. However as I said before the car I found in the Auto Trader looked like such a bargain that even though it was an auto it warranted being checked out. As it happened I so loved the look and spec on it that I realised you cant always have everything in life. Compromise aint such a bad thing ....especially when it comes at a bargain basement price...anyway my question is ....is the auto box on the 2000 model 5 or 4 speed?

Correct me if i am wrong, but i do believe that leaving Overdrive engaged all the time will do no harm to your engine or drivetrain, and it ONLY engages when it needs it... so... i guess the only reason it doesnt normally engage (like just drop the whole idea over 'overdrive' and have it normally) is that you wouldnt have any acceleration out of overdrive...
so... the new 05' Mustangs, with the 5-speed automatic trannys, that is 4 gears+ overdrive correct? (going by this logic?)

Ghostalker said:
Correct me if i am wrong, but i do believe that leaving Overdrive engaged all the time will do no harm to your engine or drivetrain, and it ONLY engages when it needs it... so... i guess the only reason it doesnt normally engage (like just drop the whole idea over 'overdrive' and have it normally) is that you wouldnt have any acceleration out of overdrive...
so... the new 05' Mustangs, with the 5-speed automatic trannys, that is 4 gears+ overdrive correct? (going by this logic?)

Yes, all modern Automatics are designed to use O/D on all the time. But they come with ways to disable O/D. On the Mustang, there is a button on the SHifter that will turn O/D off. A little light in the dash will come on.

Leaving O/D off will keep the car in 3rd gear and never shift to 4th (O/D). That makes the car a little peppier since the revs are higher and a bit more responsive. You never want to tow in O/D or lug up hills in O/D.

My own personal habits for using O/D is to leave it off in the city and just use the 1st 3 gears. I just don't get up to speed enough to use O/D and having the trans constantly shift from O/D to 3rd will put wear and tear on it.

When i cruise on the highway, i use O/D.

ANy yes, with the new stangs, 5th is O/D and 4th is 1:1....the same ratio as 3rd on the previous Mustang.

Overdrive is the name given to any gear with a taller than 1:1 ratio. This makes the driveshaft spin faster than the engine RPM hence you are "overdriving" the driveshaft. O/D is used mostly as an economy gear.

What some 6-speed manuals do is offer two overdrives. 4th gear would be the 1:1 ratio. Now the way it works 6th gear is not another gear tacked on after 5th. The 5-spd and 6-spd in the Mustang both have the same final ratio around 0.67. That means a GT in 5th and a Cobra in 6th with the same rear end gears would be turning the same engine RPM. The only difference in the 6-spd is it has a shorter Overdrive around 0.85. In other words it's a gear BETWEEN 4th and 5th on a 5-spd. This way you can get some performance out of the the car when you are above 4th gear

Phew.....Im well impressed! My wife and me intend to settle in the US. She misses the CA sunshine and I want our baby daughter to have the best possible start in life.Anyway Ive always been an Ameriphile and love the idea of being able to use a convertible all year round! With that in mind Im wondering whether to leave the Stang in CA. Any thoughts guys?

Generally speaking Stangs are a rare sight here.You might have a better chance in a very big city like London but where I am I personally have never seen one on the roads. Well thats not strictly true. I did see a 66 convt about 5 years ago but thats about it.Ford never marketed them here. I guess because of the high fuel costs and narrower roads.Also Brits have never traditionally been V8 lovers, preferring the more fuel efficient 4 bangers. The cars Ford built for the UK market have mainly been 4cyl jobs with the occasional V6.Also they were built here.We do share some models like the Focus which is very popular here as well as in the US.Im seriously thinking of leaving the car in CA now as I want to move there asap.At least I wont wince every time I go to put fuel in the tank.LOL.....