Starting Problem

Roledan

Feb 24, 2016
hello, I put a new battery in my 1965 mustang a month ago and just replaced the alternator because my light was coming on. When I hooked the battery back up I got a spark when connecting the negative terminal. Now the starter won't turn. I just get a clicking sound from the starter relay. The battery is new and I checked the connections they are all tight. Could the relay be bad? How do you tell? I haven't had starter problems before. Thank you in advance for any advice.

• Sponsors (?)

The spark could be from a radio /amplifier .They are usually hook up to direct power so you get a spark connecting battery terminals . Is the starter new ? some times the brushes or the armature will develop a bad spot and if the starter happens to stop turning in just the right spot it will not start .

The spark could be from a radio /amplifier .They are usually hook up to direct power so you get a spark connecting battery terminals . Is the starter new ? some times the brushes or the armature will develop a bad spot and if the starter happens to stop turning in just the right spot it will not start .
I kept trying to start the car and the starter relay was just clicking and suddenly the starter worked like there was no problem. Can the starter relay stick?