Steeda Quadrant, Cable And Firewall Adjuster Install

AUBURN1111

Founding Member
Oct 17, 2000
Mobile, AL
I just completed the install and was wondering about how tight the clutch cable should be from what I've read it looks like a preference thing. Engaging and disengaging the clutch is effortless compared to the worn stock unit, well worth the time and effort.
image.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I like the Steeda firewall adjuster. I have one and it is well made and not hard to adjust. I would advise you to put some silicone grease on the back face of the adjuster that mates with the clutch cable housing. This will make it easier to adjust the cable.

Clutch adjustment
Clutch pedal adjustment with aftermarket quadrant and cable: I like to have the clutch completely disengaged and still have about 1.5” travel left before the pedal hits the floor. This means that I have only about 1” of free play at the top before the pedal starts to disengage the clutch. Keep in mind that these figures are all approximate. When properly adjusted, there will not be any slack in the clutch cable. You will have 4-15 lbs preload on the clutch cable.

Adjustable clutch cable tips:
Loosening the cable adjustment nut (throwout bearing arm moves to the rear of the car) moves the disengagement point towards the floor.

Tightening the cable adjustment nut (throwout bearing arm moves to the front of the car) moves the disengagement point towards the top of the pedal.

So what hook did you attach the cable end to on the Quad? I'm doing a t5 swap and will be putting in the pedals and cable first (obviously).
With a firewall adjuster, you need to use the second hook if you use the standard Ford cable. If you use an adjustable cable, the first hook will work OK,