Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

Well, it's been a fun weekend so far. Current status is, TPS replaced and looks much cleaner from what I can tell in the graphs, but again still learning how to read them correctly. Found a huge issue with dueling O2 sensors. It turns out that you can't have the stock narrow bands plugged in while using a wideband!! I chased this issue all week, and finally figured it out. It was sending three different signals to the same place and causing all kinds of issues. So please, if you use the WB disconnect the NB's.
After all that, I went for a testing drive and was very lean (17-19). Reloaded in a stock VE map I found, and added 20% to start again after all the bad AFR readings. Then logged & adjusted, and again until I had it close. Went out for another drive, this time running Autotune. Put her through the paces, updated for AT and logged another drive.
Feels much better now.. but I'm still getting a hanging rev on startup. Starts, revs right up to 3k, holds until I tap the throttle and comes back down. Had several chances to test this, because anytime I pull my foot away after accel, the rpms drop and she shuts off. The other issue is throttle response, or the lack of it under 3500. I really have to get the RPMs up to get that nice throw you back in your seat feeling. Sorry for the super long file.. I tried to cover all the bases. Cruise, accell, hills, and tried to spin the tires near the end with no luck.

Attachments

• #2.msl
    6.3 MB · Views: 160
  • After Auto Tune 6-18.msq
    109 KB · Views: 168
  • Sponsors (?)

your new tune... mostly just small changes smoothed your ve table some and made some idle setting corrections. this one is using closed loop idle with idle advance timing control enabled. if you experience surging idle text me.

also I uploaded my dashboard try it out.

Attachments

• dashboard.dash
    142.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Rws1984 tune rev. 3.msq
    110.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Thanks again! I tried to load everything up and got a bunch of errors. Do I need to go in and manually change the 83 items in the word doc?

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-19_10-8-46.png
    upload_2016-6-19_10-8-46.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 83 Warnings.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 346
What do you think? Got the clutch in/dying issue sorted out. Then ran around autotuning and making the neighbors a little angry with the higher rpm runs but overall much better.. and drive-able.

Attachments

• After AutoTune.msl
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • After AutoTune 6-20.msq
    109 KB · Views: 150
After a little testing & tuning, I feel like I'm getting closer. I leaned out the idle, and it seemed to work really well. Also turned off the other to AE settings. I'm still slightly rich on the upper end, but closer. The only noticeable issue, was accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear, from 1500 rpm it seems to shutter a little and feels like there's no power. 1st gear on the other hand above 2K is an absolute monster. I tried a couple runs in 2nd & 3rd going up to 5K, and still had the same shutter though the RPM range. Is that just too rich? I know the WUE needs tuned, still getting there, so ignore everything under 180 deg. I'm still saving up for the new TB, but it's going to be a couple weeks. The AC went out in the house, and needs to be completely replaced. As for the logs.. I tweaked the VE table over the weekend, got it to idle right and logged it. Cruise is a short run around the side streets nothing too crazy. Everything seemed to go well, and did a longer run with plenty of hard acceleration maxing out around 6K. Let it sit for a couple days and took it out again tonight. Lots of traffic, so just normal driving. How'd I do steve?

Attachments

• 6_28.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 223
ok from what I can see it is time to do some accel enrichment tuning. you don't have enough pw adder at certain tps dot %'s
this is difficult for me to explain how to tune typing it out. there are some great videos on how to tune this on youtube from mega meet 2014.....

as for your stumble at 4300 rpm.... it could be because you are slightly rich but I doubt it. your tune just needs some smoothing that will come in time.

Hello guys I registered just for this thread, I made a post in the welcome wagon forum and told a little about myself already.

I've got a twin turbo 5.0 Zephyr that I had been running a blowthrough carb on and have just swapped over to EFI using a MSPNP2, I found this thread while researching and there seems to be good helpful info here. I've been fighting setting the timing and the whole trigger offset thing, whenever I pull my SPOUT connector the engine dies, I emailed DIYAutotune and was told I didn't need to pull it to set timing with an MSPNP2. In the meantime I'll keep at it and if I need to ask any questions I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

http://qikfords.freehosting.net/

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttzfer

Reactions: 1 users
Hello guys I registered just for this thread, I made a post in the welcome wagon forum and told a little about myself already.

I've got a twin turbo 5.0 Zephyr that I had been running a blowthrough carb on and have just swapped over to EFI using a MSPNP2, I found this thread while researching and there seems to be good helpful info here. I've been fighting setting the timing and the whole trigger offset thing, whenever I pull my SPOUT connector the engine dies, I emailed DIYAutotune and was told I didn't need to pull it to set timing with an MSPNP2. In the meantime I'll keep at it and if I need to ask any questions I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

That is correct you don't pull the spout anymore and actually works as a great Anti-Theft if you take the spout out and put it in your pocket no one can start your car. I have a lot of videos scattered through this thread about how to set the timing and do some basic tuning. If you have any issues just mention me in the post and I'll see what I can do

Reactions: 1 user

I really hope you do a write up with pics of your car on here lol that's a build thread I'd like to read :)
@madmike1157 has a slight bit of love for zephyrs I've heard

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! Glad to hear my Zephyr is welcome on a Mustang site lol. I've been trying to get the whole trigger offset adjustment done but I have yet to make a new charge tube to go to the throttle body and I think running the car with just an open throttle body may be giving it too much air to get an accurate timing reading. I stabbed the distributor and turned it to 10 degrees and it was idling at 1500ish rpm. I've got a ton of ideas and will need to do some reading but I might need to open the throttle blade on the throttle body a hair with the stop screw and only use the IAC valve for cold starts or something. I'm not tired of it yet and I can see in the software all of the cool things that can be done so I want to get this right.

FYI I bought the GPS receiver that EFI Analytics sells and had it synced up today, itll be neat to measure horsepower/torque/mileage etc. when the time comes.

@RaggedGT I posted a link to my website on a previous post but here's a recent pic of whats happening now....

Attachments

• IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    458.1 KB · Views: 140
Thanks! Glad to hear my Zephyr is welcome on a Mustang site lol. I've been trying to get the whole trigger offset adjustment done but I have yet to make a new charge tube to go to the throttle body and I think running the car with just an open throttle body may be giving it too much air to get an accurate timing reading. I stabbed the distributor and turned it to 10 degrees and it was idling at 1500ish rpm. I've got a ton of ideas and will need to do some reading but I might need to open the throttle blade on the throttle body a hair with the stop screw and only use the IAC valve for cold starts or something. I'm not tired of it yet and I can see in the software all of the cool things that can be done so I want to get this right.

FYI I bought the GPS receiver that EFI Analytics sells and had it synced up today, itll be neat to measure horsepower/torque/mileage etc. when the time comes.

@RaggedGT I posted a link to my website on a previous post but here's a recent pic of whats happening now....
Did you watch the video?
Once you have the timing set to fixed advance in the program it should not move at all.
All my videos are consolidated on YouTube just look me up, Steven VanOrder

This is the video you want
View: https://youtu.be/1RlsrM0n7Gw

Freakin awesome car man!

I also loved your roadkill audition video, lol. Got a good chuckle!

@a91what I didn't see the responses to my posts until later after I had been messing with the car but I'll definitely be watching your videos, thanks a ton for posting them!

@Boosted92LX No matter how cheesy my audition video was it worked! haha I got selected and won a trip to Cali and got to make a Roadkill vid it was an awesome time.

@a91what I didn't see the responses to my posts until later after I had been messing with the car but I'll definitely be watching your videos, thanks a ton for posting them!

@Boosted92LX No matter how cheesy my audition video was it worked! haha I got selected and won a trip to Cali and got to make a Roadkill vid it was an awesome time.

Man that's fantastic! It hasn't aired yet has it??

@a91what I notice you have an MTX-L wideband, this is what I have as well, I was wondering what values you used assuming you input your data under "custom linear wideband" or did you use the LC-2 from the dropdown box?

I got the offset plugged in but I want to redo it due to the fact that the idle was like 1500rpm at the time, I started playing with the idle some today and got it down but as I expected once I did that and switched back to fixed timing it died. I was also going really lean while it was running. I know its just a matter of time, I'm still high on EFI! :)

@a91what I notice you have an MTX-L wideband, this is what I have as well, I was wondering what values you used assuming you input your data under "custom linear wideband" or did you use the LC-2 from the dropdown box?

I got the offset plugged in but I want to redo it due to the fact that the idle was like 1500rpm at the time, I started playing with the idle some today and got it down but as I expected once I did that and switched back to fixed timing it died. I was also going really lean while it was running. I know its just a matter of time, I'm still high on EFI! :)
It does not matter what rpm you get the base timing set at. Once you switch back to use table you should see the "real" timing number (from the ignition table) on the balancer.
I just Google the info for the mtxl the values they gave me are what I plugged in under custom linear.

If your going way lean (I hope your not trying to drive/Rev the engine yet) add fuel in at the ve table.

Post your msq file so I can review it, this way I can give you more direct advice.

OK I didn't get a chance last night to play with the car but I got to mess with it tonight. I got the base timing set and matched up then went to use table and confirmed readings between the ECU and the balancer. All seems ok there.

Then I tried to tackle the high idle and while I was able to get it down its far from perfect, lots of hunting up and down at first also there is way more changing going on when my Mk VIII fan comes on and turns off than I thought there would be, not just the idle speed but the AFR and even fuel pressure was moving a couple of pounds or so.

@a91what I set my wideband up to the standard 0V= 7.35 afr 5V= 22.39 afr Earlier when I asked you about yours I didn't know if you had made any changes to compensate for the reading on the laptop since they don't match up perfectly but that's another discussion.

I'm going to post my msq and I even remembered to get a datalog (first one ever) that shows how lean it goes when the fan turns off. The only numbers I touched on the VE table are very obvious near idle speed and I think I left them all the same.

There is one thing that concerns me though, its my injectors they're supposed to be 60lb/hr units. I bought them from a high volume seller on ebay that had overall good feedback (I know that could mean nothing) and when they arrived I noticed they said 80lb on them, well I immediately emailed the seller asking if I got someone else's injectors by mistake and he assured me they were what I ordered and he had even provided flow numbers written on the boxes each one came in. (again this proves nothing) I don't mind using 80lb injectors but if that's what I have I wonder what kind of havoc it can cause, I did my REQ_FUEL assuming I had 60lbers.

I've been wrenching for a living for 25+ years but this is the first time I've ever had an adjustable ECU, its a frustrating blast. lol

Attachments

• 2016-07-07_21.19.13.msq
    112 KB · Views: 129
  • 2016-07-07_21.17.15.msl
    487.9 KB · Views: 113