Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

Ok. You caught me interest.

I understand the final product and what you can do with it, but who can give me the quick overview of the whole sustem? This replaces the factory ecu? Would I need to convert to mass air? Or is this totally speed density? Do I hack up my wiring at all?

This manages fuel only, unless I convert to the fore EDIS?

The amount of control intrugues me, but wondering how much work the install is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

I understand the final product and what you can do with it, but who can give me the quick overview of the whole sustem? This replaces the factory ecu? Would I need to convert to mass air? Or is this totally speed density? Do I hack up my wiring at all?

@Mustang5L5 There are multiple plug and play Megasquirt based options available for this application. They are all speed density (but can use mass-air if you prefer that method) and all control every aspect of running the engine, not just the fueling, and don't require EDIS. What sort of support is provided, how good the base tune is, whether it's Megasquirt 2 based or Megasquirt 3 based (the latest version), whether it fits in the factory ECU hanger, etc. all depend on what product you decide to purchase and who it comes from. I can't say anything specific to our product in this thread as it's not really what this thread is for (it's for support for people who already purchased an ECU) so if you want to know more details about our ECU, what sort of support we offer, what options it has, etc., send me a PM and/or check out our site (see my signature a few posts up in this thread). If you want to know about DIY's products, check their site.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I'm no novice of megasquirt but...

1. The system I have, mspnp2 , doesn't require me to hack my harness.

2. It controls anything you can think of. The ecu can be expanded to control a bunch of things.

3. Megasquirt can run with its internal MAP sensor. No need to convert to MAF.

4. Guys here are full of knowledge and willing to even put these things together way cheaper than MS.

5. Download tunerstudio and play with it....you'll be mind blown.

6. The DIY kit from diyautotune.com isn't rocket science to assemble.

7. You can do just about anything to just about any motor ( not just 5.0s ). You can run a 302 this year...and a mod motor next year with the same computer. This set up can grow with you.

8. You can run the stock distributor....no need for EDIS.

@Mustang5L5 There are multiple plug and play Megasquirt based options available for this application. They are all speed density (but can use mass-air if you prefer that method) and all control every aspect of running the engine, not just the fueling, and don't require EDIS. What sort of support is provided, how good the base tune is, whether it's Megasquirt 2 based or Megasquirt 3 based (the latest version), whether it fits in the factory ECU hanger, etc. all depend on what product you decide to purchase and who it comes from. I can't say anything specific to our product in this thread as it's not really what this thread is for (it's for support for people who already purchased an ECU) so if you want to know more details about our ECU, what sort of support we offer, what options it has, etc., send me a PM and/or check out our site (see my signature a few posts up in this thread). If you want to know about DIY's products, check their site.
I know a guy that runs a Stinger ecu in his 240...guess thats you guys. He absolutely loves that thing and swears by it.

Stingerperformance.com is a nice place to check out.

I did it for you [emoji106]

Hope I don't get in trouble. [emoji12]

Reactions: 1 users
@Mustang5L5 Do some research. Everyone has their own reasons for what product they want. From my research Megasquirt based products are the best bang for the buck. All of them aren't exactly the same...so....figure out what you need and what you want in the future with your build.

Aside from what the others have said it doesn't matter who you buy the mega Squirt from. They all run on the same or similar firmware and can all use the same or similar tuning software. The one that Stinger sells is essentially megasquirt product that they have expanded on and there's nothing wrong with their product you can still use this thread for support as it Tunes the same as one from do-it-yourself auto tune.

As far as functionality goes it can do anything start with a distributor if you'd like the Plug and Play version replaces your stock ECU all you have to do is take a vacuum line to it and you're done. If you want to upgrade to Edis it's possible and simple if you want to use LS coils you can do that, boost sure, launch control has that too, nitrous control has that, pwm boost control yep, it even has extra inputs and outputs for anything that you want to do with it I control my electric fans and my shift light for mine. Speed density to mass air it can support both and it also has a upgraded map sensor that you can get for barometric correction. You can even tune each injector bank for fuel trim (2wb required or tune one bank then use a trim table for bank2) knock sensor inputs.

The ms3 models can do full sequential spark/fuel and you can map each cylinder individually (that's multiple trim tables one for each cylinder! Though not necessary it's cool that you can!) It even has a built in safety system when it sees the AFR to far out of range, cuts fuel to save the motor.

You can build your own pnp unit for less than 500$

I know a guy that runs a Stinger ecu in his 240...guess thats you guys. He absolutely loves that thing and swears by it.

Stingerperformance.com is a nice place to check out.

I did it for you [emoji106]

Hope I don't get in trouble. [emoji12]

Yes, that's us. You missed a "-" between the two words in the link but otherwise yes, you got it ;)

The ms3 models can do full sequential spark/fuel and you can map each cylinder individually (that's multiple trim tables one for each cylinder! Though not necessary it's cool that you can!) It even has a built in safety system when it sees the AFR to far out of range, cuts fuel to save the motor.

Correct! Ours is MS3 based so it does this (plus traction control, boost by gear, etc.) that the MS2 based ones don't do.

You were a great help when I first installed my Stinger ECU on my previous 5.0 (which I no loner have but kept my PiMP). Whether on the phone, email, or on your dedicated web site, you and Wes K were always quick and friendly with the tech support. Thank you for that! I have another Mustang that I'm about to install the unit in to sometime in the next couple months.

You were a great help when I first installed my Stinger ECU on my previous 5.0 (which I no loner have but kept my PiMP). Whether on the phone, email, or on your dedicated web site, you and Wes K were always quick and friendly with the tech support. Thank you for that! I have another Mustang that I'm about to install the unit in to sometime in the next couple months.

We pride ourselves on providing the best Megaquirt support in the business so thanks for the kind words!

I've got an issue. My mspnp2 isn't talking. Keep getting not connected message trying to install firmware. It says to check drivers, 12v, and serial cable.

My stock computer was in and operating correctly...gotta have 12v...battery is reading 12.6v. My computer says the ftdi adapter is working correctly. My mspnp2 doesn't have any LEDs or anything to let you know it has power. It is hooked up to factory harness and vacuum line connected...wire is plugged in.

This is giving me a headache...no track for me today... Why did I decide to do this again ? Oh that's right....I'm stupid. Smh. Lol

Thanx for all the help Steve. I noticed after we got off the phone I didn't have fuel pump prime.

Did some checking. Swapped factory ecu and still got no prime. Quick test and found bad ecu relay at passenger side fender apron. Hope this is the source of my problems.

Thanks again for your help.

I really though this thing would fire. See, Steve, I'm no wuss. Lol

Got MS communicating every time. Changed the com port from com3 to com1....and tightened a loose nut on my power block. Reset actual timing and still no start. I have spark no idea about injector pulse... When the wife gets home I'll have her crank it for me.
uploadfromtaptalk1477776897410.jpg

@a91what it will start...yay....but I've got to keep peddling the throttle. Starts better in clear out...over 70℅ tps. The factory o2 sensors are reading.

Was thinking maybe back off on fuel a little cranking. I'll try to post a data log.

This is my data log. Don't know how to upload a file here but I'll try...

Attachments

• no start 2016-10-29_18.12.49.msl
    132.8 KB · Views: 135
  • no start 2016-10-29_18.12.49.msl
    132.8 KB · Views: 124