Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

Yeah years ago I had a TweeCer on my 89 that I figured out pretty quickly. I had so much trouble with the Quarter Horse setup for this car that I finally got sick of it and pulled it off. I got so many irons in the fire right now it'll likely be a bit. Would be good to get familiar with it on the LX because I am thinking about going MS to inject my old Dodge.

• Sponsors (?)

So this is going to be completely random... When I was running MS, the car had a terrible stumble right at 3k. Ran great before then and cleared out around 3500. Chased my tail for weeks. Turns out it had nothing to do with tuning. The ECU needed straight power from the battery, to much noise in the factory wiring. Ended up using a relay and the factory wire to switch it on. I am just hoping this helps someone at some point. MS was ZERO help.

Reactions: 1 user
So this is going to be completely random... When I was running MS, the car had a terrible stumble right at 3k. Ran great before then and cleared out around 3500. Chased my tail for weeks. Turns out it had nothing to do with tuning. The ECU needed straight power from the battery, to much noise in the factory wiring. Ended up using a relay and the factory wire to switch it on. I am just hoping this helps someone at some point. MS was ZERO help.

I've heard that is/was a bad problem on version one of these, but it's been resolved in the latest revision. Which one did you have? I ask because mine does funny stuff and i have a pnp2.

I've heard that is/was a bad problem on version one of these, but it's been resolved in the latest revision. Which one did you have? I ask because mine does funny stuff and i have a pnp2.
The ms needs a clean power and ground source. CLEAN! I use the factory wiring with no problems but also have major electrical upgrades. If problems persist try a capacitor on the power supply, like the ones you would buy for a noisy stereo.

I thought that I should note this.

Tuning acceleration enrichment with no one to help walk you through how is a PITA!

I now know how to do this acceleration enrichment thing (properly) did I mention it's a bitch? It really is, really.

Oh and my starter is going out..... cranks like a diesel train once the car is hot, got stuck at the store for 30mins waiting for it too cool down.:fuss:

The ms forums are a joke. They all look down at you for asking simple questions, wtf we all have to start somewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
So, I messed up, doh! I never verified the timing with the MS2. I ass-umed that, since the timing was verified with the A9L, all would be well. That's not the case. All the tweaks that were made to the MS2, were cattywampus, Being, my timing was off, SMH. Steve helped get my timing set up, Thanks again. I've got the surges again. Time to start over, well almost. Here is a copy of the msq and the datalog of the idle surge.
Ok, I'm a backwards hick from Oklahoma. What does SMH mean?

wow that's bad lol let me make some adjustments to your tune. the warmup enrichment is way off. I changed a lot of stuff review it load it and try again.
Ok I'm thinkin you gotta stop doin this sht for free. I'm gonna contribute the first 25 bucks to the steve tuner fund,...just tell me where to send it.

Seriously.

I'll gladly drop Steve some cash! He has easily spent a few hours with me. I went from knowing nothing, to learning quite a bit. Well, in my mind anyway. Thanks for your help Steve. Let me know where I can send you some $.

Seriously.

You may want to try open loop idle control. Obviously the b-cam lope is difficult to tune for right now. The lack of a proper ve table makes it worse, in your idle settings set it to open loop control and adjust the open loop duty cycle table until it idles in the range you want. It will take some time but start with 50% cold and ramp down to 20-25% 170*. This is a much easier method of idle control than using the feedback circuit.

You may all donate money to the frankenstang compound boost fund......

In all reality I am learning as much as I am teaching. Like when I build the boost duty table for Mike for his boost control circuit, never done that before.

So after I put the roof on my pump shed then finally got the 1.6l motor off my engine stand and into the civic that's been in my yard for what seems like forever. I got around to making this video, it's long and probably boring with lots of rambling. I hope it's informative.

How to read datalogs. Part 1.

View: https://youtu.be/MT4eBviOiUs

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good video, Steve! Gives me a starting point, for the software. My log files look like a electrocardiograph, of a crackhead. The open loop idle control, worked well. I really had to beef up the Duty Cycle% to keep her running. But, It worked. Thanks, again!