Drivetrain Stiff Clutch Problem

Tyrone Pringle

Nov 26, 2015
I bought an 02 mustang gt with a really stiff clutch. 1st I changed the clutch cable to a brand new sr performance one and that didn't do anything. I changed the clutch and flywheel to a brand new stage 2 clutch and lubed everything up thinking that'd do it but nope no luck. I have no idea what can be causing my clutch to be so stiff I feel like my left leg is going to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger's soon

• Sponsors (?)

Check the firewall near the cable grommet...I had a problem with a hard pedal and it was the firewall flexing causing the cable to miss align on the quadrant and rub through the adjuster.

I suspect a weak, worn or otherwise faulty clutch fork. Did you have a good look at it while changing the other parts?
I suspect a weak, worn or otherwise faulty clutch fork. Did you have a good look at it while changing the other parts?
It looked good, but is probably the origanal fork (74k miles) I'm putting in a new tranny so I'll fix that too

That works or look for any bends in the metal or cracking. I used a 3" by 3" piece of steel and drilled out a hole with a step drill bit for the cable adjuster to go through. Solved my problem. If you check online its actually a common issue and worth reinforcing even if its not flexing right now.

That works or look for any bends in the metal or cracking. I used a 3" by 3" piece of steel and drilled out a hole with a step drill bit for the cable adjuster to go through. Solved my problem. If you check online its actually a common issue and worth reinforcing even if its not flexing right now.
Yep firewall piece moves each time I push on it any videos on how to fix I saw you need you need to weld it so that's good my brother is a professional welder I have no idea what to do.

You don't have to weld it. Just fab a piece of metal plate about 1/16th thick to cover from the pinch weld above the clutch cable...to the little edge to the right of the clutch pedal...down to the bottom of the factory reinforcement plate and over towards the power booster...if I can remember right I think it was a 3 x 3 inch square. The plate won't move once the cable is run through it. You could even drill and rivet it. If you search "fox mustang firewall flex" I'm sure some info will pop up. That's how I found it

My 2000 GT had the same issue. When I pulled the Trans I found that the clutch fork pivot ball was wearing into the clutch fork. You can get the clutch pivot ball from summit racing and buy a new frpp clutch fork. I had the same issue with my 87' GT too. Just one of those things and one reason I love the hydraulic clutch in my 2010.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk