Progress Thread Stock 97 Cobra With Grinding Noise In Back When Turning

mkemp7

Jan 17, 2015
Hello, I'm a newbie to the site. I have a stock 97 Cobra that I just completed a 93 tune on that was pre-loaded from SCT. I don't think that the tune has anything to do with this but on the way back from testing the car out it started making a grinding noise out of the rear of the car when turning. Any thoughts about the cause of this?

Thanks, Marshall

• Sponsors (?)

It's strange, I drove the car this morning and no noise at all! I made sure the engine was fully warm and I drove slowly with tight turns like last night and nothing!

Mine has always made a light tiny grinding noise it might be the wheel bearings, I heard it was the rear differencial so I changed the fluid out and put the Ford limited slip friction modifier in along with the diff oil and it helped the cricking noise went away completely but the little grinding noise no, they said I needed to drive car a few houndred miles for it to totally stop but I haven't yet

I'd just change the diff fluid if I was you and make sure you use the Ford friction modifier addictive and use the stuff, if you do not use that when adding fluid to it then your clutch plates are going to wear on you a hell of a lot faster then your sol on that back axel

I had more of a groaning noise on a 92 5.0 I owned. Turned out I had to replace all the rear end clutches - my rear end had been re-built under warranty and they put the one side of the clutches in wrong. Replaced, used the Ford friction modifier, and no more noise. It only happened in a tight, slow turn. Your experience may be different than mine. Wheel bearings are not out of the question, either. Or, loose u-joints, which you can test by turning the driveshaft while holding onto one of the flanges - if there is any lateral movement replace them.

Good luck!