stock(?) h-pipe removal..help

5.0guy

Apr 17, 2004
MI
alright, I'm trying to remove my possibly stock h-pipe..it's got the air tube attached, so I don't know if it's stock or not. I've detached it from the headers and the tail pipes(though I can't get them to swing all the way out of the way of the h-pipe), but I can't, for the life of me, get it out of those damned hangers! any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I sprayed some wd-40 in the rubber isolators on the hanger and pounded the hanger out with a mallet... Slipped right out. I then installed the aftermarket offroad h-pipe with out the air tube and hangers hooked... I cut both off, some people recommend the hangers works fine for me with out them...

If you're not used to doing it, they can be quite a pain to get off the hangers on the ground. Actually, they're a pain on a lift! haha...

Best bet, considering your unsafe, no stands situation, take it to a good exhaust shop, and have them pull them and tap, or weld a new bung for the O2. It will be a breeze for them to do, and a pain in the arse for you to do.

jack stands are now under the car and the jack is free..does this mean more usable suggestions? where are the cats located on a stock h-pipe? is it where the flowtubes go on a non-catted car?

well, I got it removed, but I can't get the damn o2 sensors out...tried torchin em and using vise grips and all that jazz. but, I really think it's a stock h-pipe now. what do u guys think? if it is, I think I'll take a trip to either ramchargers or livernois tomorrow and buy a new one. thanks for all the help so far. :D

Most all off road pipes have those. Many people don't do away with the air pump and the diverter valves/thermactor system so it is a good place to quietly vent the air off to. Otherwise that air pump makes quite an unpleasant noise out of the hoses if vented openly.

Sometimes when they're that bad, they'll leave the threads in the pipe when you do actually get them out. Sometimes you;ll destroy them getting them out.

Usually a good muffler guy can get them out with the right torch technique, some guys are magical with a torch. No idea what they'd charge you... Removing them and wouldn't approach the 125 for the pipe. Remember as far as cost though, you may still have to buy O2 sensors anyways if they do save that pipe as they will likely be trashed...

took it to an exhaust shop and they made quick work of it w/an oxygen-acetylene torch..had to pay $10 but it's all good. too bad my friend and I didn't think of that, we were only using propane and he's got an oxy-acetylene torch. oh well, problem solved. I'm lettin the bungs soak up some pb b'laster right now to dissolve some of that rust.