Stock shifter noise - 2006 Mustang GT

SLOW04GT

Mar 16, 2004
Hi all,

Do these cars just have a noisy shifter or transmission in them? I bought my 2006 Mustang GT 5-speed used with 13,500 miles on it and it always has had a whine coming from the shifter area. I hear it clearly in neutral and in gear. It gets louder when accelerating. The noise is gone when I push in the clutch. It actually sounds like other cars I have had when I put an aftermarket shifter in them, however this car was totally stock when I bought it and I doubt they put a shifter in it. Plus, it doesn't really feel like an aftermarket shifter to me. It is a lot more firm than my stock '04's shifter was but also doesn't feel as firm as the tri-ax I later installed in that car. It also has the stock shifter handle. The sound is fairly loud, and other people riding with me have commented on it.

Is that how the S197's are or is something else going on?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Possible dry throw out bearing? I have an '07 GT, I do hear some noise from the throw out bearing while idling in neutral, but nothing worse than any other Mustang I have owned.

I do know (from helping others change their shifters out) that Ford did ADD a piece of sound deadening packing material around the shifter for 2009 (I think I remember reading some late '08s got this also).

I'm not sure if these bearings are serviceable though, maybe someone else knows?