stock temp gauge not working?

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
since ive had my car (about 4 years) the gauge always ran like one tick above the coldest it goes, and in traffic and such it would pick up and go to about center, but recently it doesent work at all. no matter what. i know im still getting temp because it blows excellent heat and it gets hot under the hood.

whats the common casue of this? the coolant temp sensor? wiring?

• Sponsors (?)

First thing to do...replace the coolant temp sensor. It's NOT the ECT sensor located on the heater pipe

It's on the front driver's side of the intake near the distributor. Looks like a tiny spark plug with a single-wire connector on top. I think they are dirt cheap. Replace it and see if that fixes the prob

I replaced my sending unit :D and it worked although not that well but I don't know if it was that or the fact that I messed with wire when I took it off. In the end it stop working so I got an aftermarket temp gauge, it's more accurate .

fixed :nice:

Incorrect terminology confuses people.

The gauge does not use a sensor. It uses a sender/sending unit.

The ECT is a sensor.

Even when functioning properly, the stock gauge calibration has too much hystersis to be of much use.

is it hard to install a water temp gauge? when you install a water temp gauge by autometer say, it does take out the stock one right? what else is a good gauge to have ? i plan on staying all motor for a while and like vacuum gauges. what about oil temp? all electrical right? eventually i want 2 in the ac vents in the center ( so i still have a little vent working) and then a gaugeplate with the radio and relocated hvac controls with 2 or 3 in there. so that would be water temp oil pressure oil temp, vacuum if i could get it and then fuel pressure. but you can only run electric ones inside right?

The water temp gauge is easy. you can replace the factory sendor with the aftermarket one in the same spot, find a KO 12vlt power source. If you want to keep it the factory one for some reason there is a fitting near the rear of intake on the driverside you can use after you take the plug out but I wouldn't know how accurate the temp would be by the time the water got over there. I did mine along time ago and don't remember what colored wires I used, I used a wire diagram for the ignition & headlights and found the ko source witha test light and spliced into it, then soldered it together. The oil pressure is just as easy , the sendor is located down by the oil filter. The factory one looks like a little can, replace it with the new one and wire the same. If you needed to the coolant sensor in the overflow tank is another KO 12volt power source.

Sorry If I can't post that kind of reply.... Do I absolutly have to do this in the classifieds?:shrug:

Yes you do. You should PM him.

I usualy allow a "I have part X, PM me if interested" sort of reply if it's in a thread where someone needs something, but your post was really more of a sales pitch. Actively selling stuff in the forums is prohibited.

ko power source is a key on right? where can you find one of those? down where the harness is?

correct KO is key on. use these diagrams & a test light to help you.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

you can use the radio power feed, tap into the fuse box, go off teh battery, there are plenty of sources. when you do the dimmer for the lights for the gauges I believe fuse #13 is dimmed ( a volt meter will verify) or you can use other dimmed sources..dimmer switch, hvac, etc.

Sorry but this site has been a wealth of knowledge helping me and when I went looking for this item all the parts places kept trying to give me the ect that goes in the feed to the heater.....just thought it would save someone else my headache. ..this site has helped me tons over the last 2yrs with my fox