Strange Tach Problem

paul23122

Jul 30, 2011
I have had several tachometer issues. After replacing the distributor and ignition module awhile back everything was great and working fine thanks to the help of several people on this forum. Noticed my tach was not working again and it appears that the needle for the tach is under the plastic pin that it usually rests on when car is not running. Anyone have this issue?? I have no idea how this could happen unless the needle jumped over it somehow or it went all the way around. Any suggestions on how to get the needle on the other side of the plastic pin?? does the plastic cluster cover come out easily so i can maybe just pick up the needle over the pin? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as i have never seen this happen on any car i have owned.

• Sponsors (?)

You can get access to the needle, and with the power off I think you can rotate the needle backwards to rest on the pin, rather than be behind it. Let's see if I remember the process right...

Right, I'm lazy. Follow these instructions to remove the cluster: http://www.mikefordmustang.com/writeups/led-gauge-cluster/led-gauge-cluster-mustang.php No need to remove the bulbs, obviously.

Once you have the cluster out, there are several screws that hold the clear plastic bezel on. Remove those, and you have direct access to the needle. You should be able to easily rotate the needle around to the left so it's now resting on the pin. You can plug the bare cluster back in and test if the tach needle actually moves, or just put everything back together and hope for the best.