Striper I am not!

beviking

Aug 29, 2011
Syracuse,NY
Thought I'd share in case misery needs any company...

Cue the violins.

Took the day off to put c stripes and lemans strips on. Figured I'd start with the c stripes cuz they'd be harder. Got the passenger side on, had to cut the door handle cut-out back cuz I made a jagged cut. Oh well, I know it's mine. Did the drivers side and must have left my brain on the other side cuz I measured to the edge of the fine pinstripe instead of the thick section from the wheel opening. Didn't realize it because the backing paper is so thick but it put the hole for the 5.0 emblem right between the thin pinstripe and thick center! I was so p.o'd I pulled the thin pinstripe off in a couple spots and when I tried to correct it, I creased it. So, I took a few deep breaths and thought maybe the lemans stripes would turn out so good I'd get over it. Things seemed to go smooth on the hood, had to lift the front edge towards the end a couple times but it looked pretty good and smooth. Let it dry a bit and pulled the backing paper off to find zig zag creases near the front edge. So I thought I could try to lift it and stretch it to get them out. It stretched alright, just before it ripped and my blood pressure hit 200! :bang: Decided to pull it off and find someone who knew what they're doing.

Never did stripes before, thought I'd give it a shot since it looked so easy in the videos and directions :) The window louvers, oil seperator and flip up license plate holder went on with no problem, but they didn't take any skill. I'd post pics but I'm just in such a state of denial I don't think I can figure out how to run the camera! At least AM will be happy when I order another kit or two. Sad part is I only need the hood, I have enough for the rest. Maybe whoever I find to do the job will have 12" gloss black stock. Hm, now that I think about it, maybe they'd be able to cut a matching c stripe that goes on the front fender panel and I could leave the rest as is? I'll let you know what I find out.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, 2nd will be a charm for the c striped, but I'm still hoping my buddy will come thru for the lemans, otherwise I'll have to get another guy with 1/2 a brain and hopefully between the two of us, we can make it 80% decent :)

Wow, I never followede up on this. Thanks for the revival JC! Long story short, I never tried the lemans stripes again. My kids decided the box the stripes were in was a good box to shoot arrows into! That was my sign not to do them...and that my kids need more supervision!
The c stripe went on much easier the 2nd time! Still have em on and look great!