Suspension/wheel Issue

sgaustin83

Sep 21, 2014
I have a 65 mustang, i have the shelby drop on the front. I currently have 17" wheels, 235 45 17 on the rear and 225 45 17 on the front. I believe it is just rubbing on the front and primarily just on large bumps or harder turns. What is the best resolution to fix this? Some have mentioned adjustable shocks, new wheels maybe going down to a 16". Any successions would be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is it rubbing on the inner side or the outer side? What is the BS of the front wheels? I imagine the outer side of the tire. You should see some signs of rubbing on the tires. Also, if you look under the car you should see a polished spot, possibly on the fender lips (guessing near the front of the fender or top of the lip radius). You can roll the fender lips. Fender roller, baseball bat, I like to use a hammer and progressivle roll the lip. If uts just the lower front corner of the fenders, you can actually pull the fender out by hand a little bit. I had too much caster dialed in a long time ago and my tire caught the corner and tucked it in.

If you are rubbing on the inner side of the tire, possibly touching the inner shock tower brace. Agin, you should be able to find a polished spot. Another spot, the frame rail, the lower flange either forward or rear of the spindle, possible tire rubbing at full turn. This could be due to not having the steering stops installed with the strut rods, which would allow the tire to turn too far making contact. You can run a small spacer, 3/16 maybe, or, grind/bend away some of the frame rail flange where it rubs.

On my 66 Mustang, lowered 3", I used to run a 17x8 front, 245/40-17, lips rolled and it didn't rub, not even turning and hitting hard bumps at the same time. You probably don't need to swap to 16s nor adjust shocks. 16's actually get closer to the inner wheel lip contacting the upper ball joint.