T-10 help

1/2fastback

Apr 2, 2004
Texas
I'm looking at a T-10, but I can't find anything out there to decode the numbers on the case & tail. Can anyone help me out? Does this fit a Mustang or a Falcon (or both)? Close ratio or wide ratio (or can you tell from the numbers?)

Case: T-10 H-1 W.G. Div W-1

Tail: T-10 H-7B W.G. Div

**these numbers were pretty hard to make out, so there's a chance that they may not be correct. The build date was too far gone to even guess what it said.....

• Sponsors (?)

oh ma bad...yea I think thats the t-10 used in v-8s but Im not totally sure. Really really rings a bell with those #s though...been about a year since I dealt with it. Try looking up somethin like t10 decoder or somethin on a search engine

The Ford Parts Interchange manual has a breakdown of the T-10's Ford has used. I looked at it last time I was at the bookstore, but I can't remember any details, other than there were a bunch of different T-10's used.

As far as close ratio, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think all the T-10's with linkage out the top of the tranny are close ratio, and if it has side linkage it is the standard version.

Randy'65 said:
As far as close ratio, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think all the T-10's with linkage out the top of the tranny are close ratio, and if it has side linkage it is the standard version.
Okay, the Toploader and Borg Warner are basiaclly the same. The Toploader has a plate on top of the transmission to access the gears. The T-10 has a plate on the side where the linkage goes in.
The linkage is on the side of both transmissions.
Tranny gearing ratio is dependant for the most part on the rear end ratio.

With 3.00 gears in the rear end (for example) you would have the wide ratio.
First Second Third Fourth
Close 2.32 1.69 1.29 1.1
Wide 2.78 1.93 1.36 1.1

Most of the 1965 Mustangs (K-Code excepted) had the wide ratio. Hope this helps.

DoRonDJ

I'm looking at a T-10, but I can't find anything out there to decode the numbers on the case & tail. Can anyone help me out? Does this fit a Mustang or a Falcon (or both)? Close ratio or wide ratio (or can you tell from the numbers?)

**these numbers were pretty hard to make out, so there's a chance that they may not be correct. The build date was too far gone to even guess what it said.....

Did you ID that tranny yet? What was it? I have the same one (same casting numbers) and am trying to ID it too. Thanks.

The build date

I have the same trans and my build date shows C2 9,if this helps.The one I have is a one ring-one groove on the input shaft,i know some have 2 or 3 rings but I can't decode them either.:shrug:

Okay, the Toploader and Borg Warner are basiaclly the same. The Toploader has a plate on top of the transmission to access the gears. The T-10 has a plate on the side where the linkage goes in.
The linkage is on the side of both transmissions.
Tranny gearing ratio is dependant for the most part on the rear end ratio.

With 3.00 gears in the rear end (for example) you would have the wide ratio.
First Second Third Fourth
Close 2.32 1.69 1.29 1.1
Wide 2.78 1.93 1.36 1.1

Most of the 1965 Mustangs (K-Code excepted) had the wide ratio. Hope this helps.

Basically the same? Only thing basically the same about the two is they're both 4 speeds.:D