T45 Shifter On A Tr3650?

Joshe

Dec 11, 2016
I just bought a 2002 GT and the previous person put a short shifter on, I was curious at what brand and everything so I pulled it off and first, the black insert was not in, and second, after a quick Google search this shifter is listed as a T-5/T-45 shifter online. Could this have done harm to my transmission? Should I go get it looked at? Luckily the person I bought from gave me the original shifter too so I have that back in.

• Sponsors (?)

The difference is in the distance from base of shifter to pivot ball

3650 = 1.2" from base to pivot ball

t-5/t-45 = 1.5" from base to pivot.

The longer distance translates to a longer throw. banging the gears around could bend shift forks, but if the trans is running fine, I'd just put the correct shifter on and call it a day.

You should confirm that you do in fact have a 3650 under there. The t-45 ended in mid 2001, but the early 3650's were so clunky and failed than many people swapped then out. A t-45 would directly swap in. They got a bit better in 2003.

Best way to tell. T-3650 drain plug on trans points straight down to the ground. T-45 is on the side

Reactions: 1 user
The difference is in the distance from base of shifter to pivot ball

3650 = 1.2" from base to pivot ball

t-5/t-45 = 1.5" from base to pivot.

The longer distance translates to a longer throw. banging the gears around could bend shift forks, but if the trans is running fine, I'd just put the correct shifter on and call it a day.

You should confirm that you do in fact have a 3650 under there. The t-45 ended in mid 2001, but the early 3650's were so clunky and failed than many people swapped then out. A t-45 would directly swap in. They got a bit better in 2003.

Best way to tell. T-3650 drain plug on trans points straight down to the ground. T-45 is on the side
Exactly