T5 Issues After Efi Swap

MustangMando

Jul 16, 2011
Hi guys, just installed and rebuilt a foxbody 302 efi from a 1990 mustang and dropped it in a 68 mustang. I left the motor stock except for for an e303 cam. I added a new stock flywheel and clutch. I had the t5 and had been using it before. I started up the car and noticed vibration in or on the t5 at idle. So i added some fluid(atf), since it had lost fluid when i droped the trans. I drove it around the block and motor seems not to accelerate even though rpms seem alittle high. At fifth gear the car begins to have alot of vibration. At idle and at fifth the t5 has vibration. I pulled the transmission out during the build and tilted over, dont know if this matters but like for people to have all info. It is a v8 t5, was working properly before i pulled it off motor. All is new, pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and even bolts.

Thanks any info helps

• Sponsors (?)

The E303 cam uses the 5.0 HO/351W firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Which is different than the standard 302/289. Also you mentioned you added a stock flywheel and clutch. The 5.0 HO uses a 50 oz balance instead of a 28 oz balance of the standard 302/289. The harmonic balancer and flywheel both need to be specific to the 5.0 HO. If not you will get a serious vibration. I know from experience.

I am still thinking may be a couple of wires crossed . A misfire will cause a vibration. Also are the injectors new or used ? When i did a HO swap in my 78 F150 the motor had low miles but it had set for almost a year and the injectors were plugged from old gas. It ran very rough until i ran cleaner through the injectors.

If the engine is from a 91 T-Bird, where did the intake, wire harness, and ECM come from? I am definitely not as familiar with the T-Bird as I am with the Fox, but the Tbird ECM would be for an automatic. I don't know why, but if your ECM isn't from a manual transmission it can cause problems. Also the injectors can be cross wired just like a distributor which would cause a misfire and vibration like you are describing.

Thanks guys, after a couple of grueling weeks of putting my motor together and not being able to make it work correct. Today i went out with a clear head, i noticed that #5 and #6 where swapped. Took it for a ride and rode smooth. Thanks again for the great info.